This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Dear Junior Year,

Hey KU, it’s me again–back and ready for another year! A lot has changed since my first time stepping foot into my freshman dorm room. As a brief overview, now I’m certain of my major and what I want to do. I came in as a communications major, but not really sure what that meant. Soon after, I figured out my calling was teaching. Now, I am a Secondary English Education major and am getting a certification in TESOL. 

Two full years ago, I was a scared out-of-state freshman coming to KU with only a single friend. I spent the first few months as a mess and wondering if KU was the right place for me. The more I thought about it though, staying in Minnesota wouldn’t solve the problems that I was encountering, so I made the decision to stay. Thank God I did. If I had left, I never would have had the opportunity to participate in things that I never could have imagined doing. Without KU, I wouldn’t have gotten the opportunity to join my sorority and meet some of the most amazing women I know. I wouldn’t have gotten to get a job teaching a class at the rec center. I wouldn’t have gotten to participate in my study abroad program in South Korea. I wouldn’t be half the person I am now. It’s cliche, but these past two years have really changed who I am, and I never would have been able to do this without being here. 

I am at the point in college though where things start to get scary. After all, I only have two years until I walk through the Campanile at graduation and get my degree. Only one year until I need to start applying to jobs. Everyone said that college would go fast, but I never knew just how fast it would really be. Though life immensely changes after high school, I know that change following college will be even bigger than the previous. At the same time, it’s only two years until I will have my own classroom! Only one year until I start student teaching and getting to be in the classroom. 

Though there are frightening aspects to junior year, it’s important to look past those and just see the positives. College has helped me grow into a more independent, confident, and passionate person. These last two years have challenged me in so many ways and I can’t wait to see how this continues to happen for the next two years.

Cheers to junior year,

Megan

Megan is currently a junior at the University of Kansas from Prior Lake, Minnesota. She is studying Secondary English Education and TESOL certification. At school, she works as a student ambassador and a dance fit instructor, and she is also involved in her sorority. Megan loves talking about her study abroad experience, being outside, skin care, and her favorite shows.