This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

October is nothing if not the season for the scare. As a certified fall enthusiast, I love the Halloween spirit and the spooks that come along with it.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Widely considered the best thriller of all time, and maybe the best movie of all time. Definitely, something that can be rewatched until the end of time. It has cannibalism, psychopaths, serial killer dungeons, and some classic moths.

The Strangers

‘Based on true events’ stories are the worst. And by worst I mean best. This movie is considered a movie that will scare you the most and I can’t believe I haven’t watched it yet. It’s a bunch of lunatics harassing a couple in a family cottage full of torturous suspense.

Hush

Hush is another home invasion movie and I seem to have a theme. It’s absolutely terrifying and gets bonus points for its unique concept. A deaf writer living in the house in the woods faces off against a masked killer.

Goodnight Mommy

This Austrian movie has come highly recommended as absolutely insane. Basically, two twin boys, whose mother just got plastic surgery and has bandages covering her face, isn’t really their mother. If subtitles highly offend you, maybe avoid.

The Babadook

Now, I normally don’t love paranormal movies, but Babadook is truly an impressive movie. A mother mourning the death of her husband, battles with her son’s fear of a monster lurking in the house. When a book called ‘Babadook’ shows up at their doorstep, his fears are proved to be valid.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I truly knew nothing about this movie before seeing it. While it’s famous for being the very definition of gore, the story is actually very good. It’s loosely based on the serial killer, Ed Gein.

Don’t Breathe

This movie is the most tension inducing film I have ever watched. The story is of three thieves who break into the home of a wealthy but blind veteran where they underestimate his aptitude. If you are looking for something suspenseful with a really unpredictable ending this is your movie.

Happy watching everyone!

I'm a creative writing and journalism double major and a freshman. This is my first year writing for her campus.