Non-Traditional Valentine’s Day Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Valentine’s Day, for the lovers out there, means the same thing every year and for almost every couple: flowers, romantic dinner for two and, if it’s extra special, a carriage ride around the park.

Instead of a traditional Valentine’s Day date, though, couples should do a heart-racing activity (pun definitely intended).  Research shows that couples that are engaging in a fun, outdoor activity are closer than couples that are doing a regular activity. Of course a dinner will have to be involved because you don’t want a grumbling stomach on a date.

To really get that heart pumping, physical activity could be a good cure to get things heated up for the most loving day of the year. Hikes or any outdoor activity would be fun. It’s not that cold outside if you’re dressed appropriately.  There’s also a Sweetheart Run in Kansas City the Sunday following Valentine’s Day.

Personally, and I’m sure I’m not alone, being a traditional couple is not what I’ve dreamt of. For those adventurous souls out there, who may not have the money to fly their significant other to Morocco for private surfing lessons followed by dinner on the beach, there are alternatives. To keep a decent budget, although splurging on Valentine’s Day is a given, we’ll try to stay in the Midwest.

A simple, yet effective date could be done at the house. Keeping in the spirit, grill burgers in the shape of hearts and have other foods that can be molded or dyed red. Eat this lovely feast in the lawn on blankets or in a mini tent. Spend the night under the stars watching a rom-com on the side of the house via a projector. Being outside is especially perfect since it’ll still be a little chilly, so bundle up and get close. To step all of that up even further, you could rent a boat on Clinton Lake and move the picnic and stargazing to a slow cruiser.

Getting out of Lawrence would be a nice change of pace for some couples. If that’s the case try something like heading to Overland Park’s Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. The gardens and hiking trails would be great locations for picnics and a perfect way to connect. Who needs a bouquet when you have an entire garden of flowers?

Kansas City is known as the City of Fountains. Take a little trip around the city and make a wish in each fountain. Center your whole day or evening around activities close by each one.

Try catering to personal interests on the day. Take your man to a golf course driving range and surprise him with a 6-pack of his favorite beer. Go old school and carve your initials in a tree. Hand-make a kite with your names on it and take it down to the park.

Whatever you decide on, be it traditional or not, make sure it’s extra special this year. No matter what you do, the most important part is to show the person you are with just how much you love them.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences