This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Everyone has those days where you don’t want to do anything. Whether it is not doing some assignments or homework, or even going to class. And it’s definitely understandable, I have those days myself every now and then. Then there are those days when all you do is wake up and already know that nothing will be getting done today. Since it’s the beginning of the semester, you might think it’s okay to miss one assignment or one class period, but then, that assignment might turn into two or even three! Unfortunately you can’t do those kind of things every time you just don’t feel like getting anything done especially when you have classes to pass and grades to keep up. Even though it’s only the beginning of the semester, that doesn’t mean you can take advantage already! Save those “absence” days you get for each class for when you actually really do need them. It never hurts to start from the first day of class to keep grades up so when the end of the semester comes, you won’t be struggling or stressing on how you’re going to pass. 

Here are some tips to get you started:

• Do the homework the day it was assigned, even if it’s not due until the day after tomorrow when you have the class again.
  • Go to the library during those breaks in-between classes. If you have 45 minutes until the next one, go over the notes you took last period and prepare yourself for the next one whether it is going over your homework or over the reading that’s due. Even in the weekends or the evenings, whenever you can, make plans to study there. It’s better to do the studying at the library than in your own room where you are surrounded by distractions.
  • Start those papers and projects early!!! Even if they may not be due until mid semester or later. Just working on that every now and then will make it so much easier when it gets close to its due date. Also it will make your life a bit easier as well.
  • Take notes when you read, because if you’re forcing yourself to read it, most likely you will not remember much when you actually go over it in class. Buy some sticky notes and keep them in your books.
  • Start making flashcards! In the long run these will be extremely helpful for midterms and finals along with any quizzes or tests you may have as well. 
  • If you don’t already take notes in class, start doing that! Go over them also before each class and one more time sometime that evening. This will help you memorize the information you learned that day much better and you will actually will remember most of it even the next day!

The end of the semester will come sooner than you think. And when it does come, you will be prepared for anything, even including those midterms. It never hurts to do a little extra work every day. In the long run, you will be thanking yourself that you put extra effort in the beginning of the semester. And one more thing! Try not to overwork yourself. Don’t ever forget that you still need a break every now and then!

Ashley Ponce-Cardenas is a junior majoring in Business Adminsitration at the University of Kansas.