This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The snow outside is finally melting, but spring hasn’t quite struck us yet. Until the temperatures heat up, what’s a college student to do to pass the time? Netflix, of course, the drug of choice for procrastinators everywhere. Aside from streaming a number of favorite films and network television shows, Netflix has also adopted an experimental model to deliver original content to consumers by eliminating the middle man in cable broadcasting. The streaming giant has produced a series of television shows and documentaries made immediately available in full for customers. They certainly did not skimp on quality; some of my favorite new series are Netflix originals, and I urge anyone and everyone to give at least one a shot while they’re still trying to chase the winter temps away!

1. House of Cards

The political crime drama was my first encounter with Netflix original content, and I must say, my expectations were low, but I was blown away. Politics is a tricky subject to navigate, but politics aren’t the sole focus, merely a force that propels the plot forward. If you’re looking for an enthralling tale of revenge, look no further. A second season was just added, making this an ideal weekend adventure of non-stop twists and turns.

2. Orange is the New Black

The show that got me hooked on Netflix originals, “Orange is the New Black” follows the affluent Piper Chapman as she spends a year in a women’s prison for crimes relating to drug trafficking. Produced by Jenji Kohan, who some may recognize as the individual behind critically acclaimed comedy-drama “Weeds,” “Orange is the New Black” is based on the memoir of the same name written by Piper Kerman and explores the broken prison system through a wide variety of perspectives many viewers wouldn’t ordinarily have the privilege of being exposed to. Hilarious, brutal, heartbreaking and sometimes shocking, “Orange is the New Black” won’t disappoint. Bonus: Season 2 is just around the corner!

3. Hemlock Grove

Crime and punishment are great themes and make for excellent television drama, but they aren’t for everyone. If the first two entries don’t appeal to you, how about something horror oriented? There’s been a surge in popularity in recent days revolving around mythical creatures of the night: vampires, werewolves and ghouls. If these things appeal to you, look no further, “Hemlock Grove” is your match. The cast is younger, centered around a handful of high school students struck by the extraordinary, and directed and produced by horror icon Eli Roth. This series will leave you shivering, but in the best way possible. Set realism aside for a while and suspend belief with this Netflix original.

4. Arrested Development

Ok, so this is stretching it a bit. “Arrested Development” is a cult favorite that did not get its start as a Netflix original series, but it ended as one. After an untimely cancellation, “Arrested Development” enjoyed an underground following and demands for revival from diehard fans. Television networks didn’t listen, but our favorite video streaming service did, and delivered a conclusive fourth season to Netflix subscribers, rocking the minds and hearts of never-nudes everywhere. Season four of “Arrested Development” is a treat meant to be enjoyed many times over, and with the three preceding seasons already available, it’ll keep you occupied for weeks!