This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Their tiny voices and innocent questions get me every time, and I know if it wasn’t for them, I would not be who I am today. I am the oldest of five siblings (all girls of course) and I happen to be sixteen years older than my youngest sister. All throughout high school and to this day I get asked in public, “How old is your little one?”. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest because I know if it wasn’t for them, I would not be who I am today. 

When I began my seventh grade year in middle school, my little sister was born, and honestly thank goodness for her, because her cuteness totally masked my awkward phase. I was in complete awe of her tiny features and innocence that I could sense my heart actually melting inside my body due to her overloading adorableness. Fast forward four years later and two more sisters; we could officially start an all girls basketball team.  It was extremely common for people to ask if I enjoyed having such younger siblings and my answer always remained the same: I would not change it for the world.

pink roses
Photo by Sidney Pearce from Unsplash

Their curiosity and ability to see the beauty in daily tasks not only inspires me, but reminds me how precious life truly is. Not only do they seem to have the most optimistic view on life; they dance their way through life quite literally. Their spunk and endless laughter never ceases to amaze me and it encourages me to bring that energy into my daily routine. Their kindness is contagious and they can find joy in the simplest things; even if it is stacking the toilet paper on top of eachother in the hallway then quickly knocking it down. 

I would not trade my experience with younger siblings for the world simply because it taught me how powerful love is and how far my patience can actually go. They are wise beyond their years and involuntarily see the beauty in every situation; whether it is a daily car ride singing in the backseat or celebrating a special occasion; everything is magical in their eyes. 

We have our moments, sure, but nothing could compare to the bond we have created over the years that no matter how far apart we may be, our inside jokes and genuine love for each other will always remain. They are quite simply the best thing that has ever happened to me, yet can drive me totally crazy in a matter of seconds; however, I would not have it any other way. 

Pink neon love sign
Photo by Shaira Dela Peña from Unsplash

Hey :) I'm Lauren and I am senior at the University of Kansas! When I am not writing for HER Campus, you can find me spending time with my friends and family, enjoying the outdoors, or drinking too much coffee ;)