My Visit to Halloween Town— No, seriously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Last year for fall break, I visited my Aunt in Portland, Oregon. Knowing I was in Oregon, a friend suggested that I visit Halloweentown. I was all, “What do you mean that’s not a real place.” Oh, but it is. That’s right, the classic TV movie we all grew up watching is a real place you can actually visit. St. Helens, OR, the location where the movie was filmed, recreates Halloweentown every year.  

Naturally, I looked up how far away St. Helens was from Portland— 1 hour. I was sold. I just so happened to be in Oregon in October, how could I not go?  

The town replicates the films ENTIRE set, complete with the giant pumpkin outside city hall. There are tours, celebrations and some cast members from the film show up once a year! (I missed the cast by an HOUR. I was truly crushed). The town even has a ceremonial lighting of the giant pumpkin at the beginning of the month.  

Safe to say, it was a childhood dream come true. Here are some pictures I took while I was there. 

Entrance to the set.  

City Hall and the giant pumpkin display. ​

Benjamin C. “Benny” Deadmen at your service. Ride at your own risk! 

Took one of these babies for a test-drive. All the stores in town square that were in the movie were recreated too. Including Wolfie’s Beauty Salon, the movie theater and the vampire dentist! So freaking cool.

Me next to the giant pumpkin. It was smaller than I had imagined but still dope af.

This was a cute house near downtown. I tried to find Aggie Cromwell’s house but no such luck.

The view from behind City Hall. Most charming little place.

If you’re feeling nostalgic and are ever in the area around October, take the time to visit this neat place! You can learn more about The Spirit of Halloweentown and St. Helens here.

Senior at the University of Kansas studying Strategic Communications and Business