My Pre-Teen Obsession Is Getting a Movie: Teen Wolf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When I was about 11 years old, I remember seeing a show called Teen Wolf on Netflix. At the time, there were only two seasons out. But the idea of werewolves and teen drama and thrillers drew me in. The rated TV-14 caught my eye and watching something so grown up scared me. I went into my parents’ room to ask if I could watch Teen Wolf. My parents readily agreed. It wasn’t until a few years later did I realize they thought I was talking about the 1985 Teen Wolf movie with Michael J. Fox, which is just as amazing.

The first season of the series had me hooked. The loveable Scott McCall, the funny best friend Stiles, the brooding Derek. Each twist and turn blew my blossoming fandom mind. I had never seen something as amazing and cool as Teen Wolf. After binging each season and proceeding to watch each season live, I moved from Teen Wolf to The Vampire Diaries to Supernatural and many more shows and series. 

But this is about Teen Wolf, the heartthrob, cheesy teen series that ran on MTV. After airing for six years with six seasons (nine if you count all parts), the show finally came to an end. To be honest, I didn’t watch the last few seasons. After season 3B with Void Stiles, I lost interest very quickly. 

However, my investment in my favorite show as a kid has been reactivated. Paramount has announced there will be a 2022 release of a Teen Wolf movie. After a few years of no werewolves and kitsunes and banshee, this series favorite will be back!

The question on everyone’s minds, including mine, is who will be back? For as much as I enjoyed the plot, my continued viewing relied more on supporting the actors. My love for Dylan O’Brien, who played Stiles, has been a long burn since I was a pre-teen. It’s continued to this day, and I watch all his movies and shows he stars in. So while, obviously, my favorite actor on the show was Dylan O’Brien, the question is if he’s returning in the movie. Especially since he’s moved on to new movies and projects.

According to the Distractify article, “Grab Your Pack, ‘Teen Wolf’ Is Back! A Paramount Plus Movie Is Set for Release in 2022” by Anna Garrison, it is for sure that Tyler Posey, who played the main lead, Scott McCall, will be returning. Tyler Posey himself was one of the first to release the teaser trailer on his Twitter on September 24, 2021. The teaser trailer from his Twitter is linked at the end!

Now the teaser trailer does not reveal any confirmed characters in the show returning, only playing small clips from items in the original series. Garrison’s article states that “Colton Haynes (Jackson Whittemore), Cody Christian (Theo Raeken), Holland Roden (Lydia Martin), Dylan Sprayberry (Liam Dunbar), JR Bourne (Chris Argent), Linden Ashby (Sheriff Stilinski), and Ian Bohen (Peter Hale) have all confirmed their participation in the revival through social media” (Garrison, 2021).

This exciting list does confirm a majority of the main/supporting actors from the series will be in the movie. Unfortunately, one actor who’s not mentioned anything about the movie is Dylan O’Brien. Garrison’s article again mentions Linden Ashby has confirmed on Twitter O’Brien will be in the movie. 

I follow Dylan O’Brien on Twitter, and it is true he has not mentioned anything about the movie. Many fans speculate that Dylan doesn’t want to return to Teen Wolf, having already moved on to new projects and movies. However, he might be contractually bound to do the movie. These are all rumors and might not be true, but that’s what is going around the grapevine. 

It does make me sad that Dylan O’Brien seems reluctant to be a part of the movie, not releasing anything on Twitter. But I will always watch the show to support him, and any other projects he works on!

Another one of the main characters who has not confirmed his role is Tyler Hoechlin, who played the mysterious Derek Hale. The actor has gone on to new roles as well, like playing Superman on The CW’s shows Supergirl and Superman & Lois. Hopefully, the actor will return in the movie as well, as I loved his character!

So much is still unknown about the movie, but it does have fans excited for the next year! Scott McCall comes back to Beacon Hills as an adult, gathering the pack to fight off a new bad guy. Seems like a fun, exciting plot for a revised movie of the series. Seeing them as “grown-up” and not in high school anymore will be interesting. 

Despite my fallout with the show for the last few seasons, Teen Wolf will always hold a special place in my heart! For a throwback, the 2022 movie will be a great way to connect with my obsession from the past. Can’t wait to see what Jeff Davis has in store for us. And if anyone reading this hasn’t seen the Teen Wolf series, I definitely recommend watching it for a great time!

Distractify Article by Anna Garrison: https://www.distractify.com/p/teen-wolf-movie-cast

Tyler Posey’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/tylergposey/status/1441434668423864324?s=10

Hi! My name is Alex Corbin and I'm a sophomore at KU majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience in the Pre-Med track! I'm a huge movie and TV show fan, and my life has been taken over by TikTok. I hope you like reading my articles!