This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I love y2k fashion. The glitter. The glam. The shine. Those are words that mean the same thing in most contexts but when it comes to fashion, different people embody each trait differently. What I really loved about the y2k aesthetic is that your mainstream celebrities would be at the forefront of the fashion. I appreciate street wear and casual clothes that celebrities rock here and there, but I miss the campness of it all. Celebrities in the early 2000s always had fun outfits, but here’s the best of the best.

Mariah carey: Butterflies, baseball and Beauty
  • The Butterfly Top (2000): Fun fact: one of my favorite Mariah Carey albums is her sixth studio album Butterfly. And my favorite Mariah Carey outfit? A butterfly. The butterfly top lives rent free in my mind. I love it and it perfectly encapsulates the 2000s and the y2k aesthetic. Mariah wore this Emmanuel Ungaro top from his Spring 2000 collection and it continues to be a timeless look.
If any designers are reading this, I want this top so bad. Ungaro died on my BIRTHDAY of all days a few years ago so I understand it won’t be as good as the original, but still.
  • NRJ Music Awards (2000): Pretty in pink to a whole new level. She makes the simplest outfits look gorgeous. One thing I love about this iconic outfit is that it is just so easy to recreate with the right accessories and jeans!
Isn’t it crazy how Mariah invented the color pink?
  • Baseball in Tokyo (2008): While this technically wouldn’t be considered y2k time-wise, looks-wise it totally is. The pink jacket with her name on it? The shades? The hoops? Diva to a whole new level, and we have to appreciate it.
She is so iconic I love it
Britney spears: Double Denim duchess
  • Oops, I Did It Again (2000): Not only is this song the perfect introduction to the 2000s, the red bodysuit is almost as iconic as the song. A classic Halloween outfit that if I was confident enough I would wear every single year.
Pop Culture Artifact
  • Versace Fashion Show (2002): High end fashion has a special place in my heart. I think what I love about this outfit is that it gives me similar vibes to the butterfly top, I can’t really pinpoint why, but all I know is that I would do a lot to have this dress.
I love glam and glitter!!!
  • American Music Awards (2002): She is literally queen of the award shows looks. From her iconic all denim outfit, to her wearing an actual snake, it’s hard to pick just one outfit from an award show. However, this pink dress has a special place in my heart. The accessories matched with the color of the dress just works so well together.
The pink cross??? COME ON
Beyoncé: girl group to solo star
  • Destiny’s Child: As much as I adore Beyoncé’s fashion on her own, her fellow Destiny’s Child members (at least, the ones I acknowledge), Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, served looks simultaneously. It would be rude not to include the Destiny’s Child fashionista moments.
One day y’all will give Kelly and Michelle the respect they DESERVE
  • Isabel Synder Photoshoot (2000): In this photoshoot, Beyoncé wears one of my favorite early looks of hers. Once again it reminds me of the Butterfly Top™️ which means I automatically love it.
Crop Top Queen
  • Dangerously In Love (2003): This is literally her debut album and she absolutely killed it on the music AND the cover. One of my favorite albums by her and one of my favorite album covers of hers.
Fun fact: She’s wearing men’s jeans!
Aaliyah: Glam Goddess
  • Try Again (2000): I miss Aaliyah for so many reasons, and her contributions to music will never be forgotten. Something I also really love about her besides her music was her fashion sense. This photoshoot for her single “Try Again” really showcased her beauty and the impact she had on y2k fashion.
SUCH a good single cover
  • UK Photoshoot (2001): I love this photoshoot because it’s perfectly Aaliyah. The hoops, the headband, the shades, the jewelry and the outfit in general just represent her tomboy fashion so well.
She was just so cool
  • Essence Awards (2001)- She looked absolutely gorgeous here and this dress looked perfect on her. She could do street style and high fashion which is why she is a y2k queen for me.
No one could do it like her
Janet Jackson
  • MTV Movie Awards (2000) – Janet Jackson channeled the Matrix while presenting an award at the 2000’s MTV movie awards. And what’s more y2k than the movie that made everyone paranoid about technology?
Motorcycle Chick Realness
  • Grammys (2002)- See for some reason Matthew McConaughey was there presenting an award with the icon herself while wearing a boring plaid shirt but maybe that’s just the country boy in him.
Ignore Matthew’s shoulder
  • Kids’ Choice Awards (2002)- Literally why in the world did she go all out for the Kids’ Choice Awards??? she looked amazing and the makeup is to die for but like. For Nickelodeon? I think not.
Her top kinda matches the Nickelodeon slime so maybe she just came prepared.
Honorable mentions
  • Devon Aoki
Suki <3
  • Missy Elliot
Invented fashion!
  • Jennifer Lopez
She could have made top five if she didn’t constantly try to make the green Versace dress happen over and over again. WE GET IT. I’m being petty by not including that outfit in this.
  • Christina Aguilera
Love a halter top moment
  • Paris Hilton
Wouldn’t really be the 2000s without Ms. Hilton
Hi! My name is Ananya and I'm a junior double majoring in Biology and Journalism and I am on the pre-med track. I'm really interested in pop culture, and I like to write about celebrities and fashion. I'm also the most opinionated person I know unfortunately so I have something to say about every form of media I consume, whether it be music, film, or books. In my free time, I like to watch movies and listen to music with my friends, go thrifting or window shopping and go on drives. I love meeting new people so I'm always joining clubs and organizations! I am President (or Campus Correspondent) of Her Campus KU, but I started out as a writer my freshman year since I was a fan of Her Campus articles when I was a senior in high school. I became the Vice President my sophomore year where I was in charge of attendance and the newsletter and now that I am president, I run the meetings every week! Other than Her Campus KU, I am a part of volunteer organizations on campus such as hiKU and Hearts for the Homeless, along with the pre-medical co-ed professional fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon where I am the social justice chair, and cultural organizations like Asian American Student Union (AASU) and South Asian Student Association (SASA).