This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Being a college student often means waking up, going to class, doing homework, and repeating that, day in and day out. When it comes to studying and doing homework, I’m of the belief that finding the right environment is half the battle. This can be a library, your dorm, a coffee shop, or really anywhere. Finding good spots where I won’t get distracted and will actually be able to work was a process that took a lot of trial and error, so let me help you out in your journey. Here are some of my favorite places to study in Lawrence.

Java Break

Java Break is a coffee shop on the corner of 7th and New Hampshire (right off Mass St.) and is one of my absolute favorite places to go study. First off, they have delicious food and drinks, and any good study sesh needs brain fuel. As you walk through the shop, you go through various rooms, all with different themes and aesthetics – some zebra print, some graffiti, the works. A good majority of the chairs and tables are comfy, which is super helpful if you’re cranking out work over the span of a few hours.

My Desk

Now you might be thinking “I can’t go to YOUR desk to study, Abby.” And you’re totally right, but if you live in a dorm or a student apartment you have your own desk; and with some personalization, you can love studying at your desk as much as I love studying at mine. Find the decorations, supplies, and whatever else that really fits you and helps you be productive and utilize them! At my desk, I have a cute little pen & file organizer (which you can find here), along with cute pictures and inspirational quotes hung on the wall, because those sorts of things help me focus. There’s truly no better study space than the one you make for yourself.

Disclaimer: this is not my desk— I just liked the picture :)

Anschutz Library – 1st Floor

I will preface this by saying that the first floor of Anschutz is definitely haunted, but in my opinion, that just adds to the appeal. The first floor of this library is designated “quiet study” so you don’t have to worry about it being too loud to work as you might in other places. This is definitely one of the less aesthetically pleasing locations on the list, but I think the environment is great for sitting down and just cranking out a paper or assignment. Who knows, maybe you can get the ghosts to help you.

Kansas Union Rooftop

This is a less-known study spot, but I love it and I’m not one to gatekeep, so now you know too. If you go up to the top floor of the Union, there’s a set of doors that lead to a rooftop area with tables and chairs. When it’s nice outside, this is such a great place to go. You can pull a table close to the edge (not too close, of course) and look over Marvin Grove, the Booth, and the Campanile. It’s so pretty and has a great study vibe. The only downside is that studying here heavily depends on what the weather is like, so it’s best to use it during the early fall and later spring.

Watson Library

Much like with Anschutz Library, my favorite part of Watson is the top two floors, which are designated “quiet study.” It’s nice to not have loud distractions, and the view out the windows from these floors is gorgeous. They have a good mix of both tables and desks, and the desks have plenty of room to spread your stuff out. Personally, I’m a fan of the desks, which help limit visual distractions as well. Taking away those distractions is super helpful when you’re trying to get things done, so overall I’m a big fan of Watson Library.

So, those are a few of my tried and true favorite places to study in Lawrence. Try them, see what works for you, and be your most productive self! 

Hello! I'm Abby DuBois, a member at the University of Kansas' chapter of Her Campus! This is my third semester as a member of the Writing Team for HCKU. I write about culture, entertainment, and school. Some articles I’ve written include: "5 Shows You Should Watch in 2023", "Easy Recipes to Take to Thanksgiving This Year", "7 Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman", and "What Taylor Swift Album You Should Listen to Next Based on Your Favorite Midnights Song". I am currently a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in History and Classical Humanities. I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2024 and am undecided on my plans after that, but hope to work at a library or museum in the Kansas City area. In my free time, I love reading (especially Historical Fiction and Romance), going on walks, and finding new music to listen to. I also love learning about pop culture and trying out new recipes, which tends to fuel my writing for Her Campus.