MY “BACK-TO-SCHOOL VIBES” PLAYLIST

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Back-to-school season is the time that I look forward to every year, but this year is particularly special. After a year and a half of sitting in my bedroom instead of a classroom, my daily walk across campus feels like such a treat. If you are like me, I constantly keep my earbuds in so I can listen to my current favorite songs and podcasts. Here are a few of my current favorites that keep my spirits high while also turning my walks around campus into a main character moment: 

1. “betty” by Taylor Swift 

Starting off with one of my favorite songs to be released since lockdown began, “betty” is the perfect combination of empathetic storytelling and an upbeat pop song that fits any mood. Detailing a sweet mix of heartbreak, regret and hope, “betty” is a beautiful tale that can bring comfort or bring a sense of stress relief as you passionately sing along to the lyrics. Folklore in general is an album that I have kept coming back to throughout the last year, but something about “betty” has made it my favorite since Taylor surprised us all with the folk-pop album that we did not know we needed last summer. The song itself feels like a cool late summer/early fall night cozied up with a blanket and some tea. The calming stripped-down instrumentals along with Taylor’s incredible lyrics and vocals has made “betty” the first song that I put on my BTS playlist this August. 

1. “Diplomat’s Son” by Vampire Weekend 

Vampire Weekend has several great songs to get you in a back-to-school mood (as seen from the TikTok trend last fall of showing off your school to their song “Campus”). However, “Diplomat’s Son” has been one of my go-to tunes, especially on the way to my morning classes while there still is a hint of chill in the air from the night before. The song radiates happiness with its bouncy tone and instrumentals that differ from many other songs that I listen to regularly. All around, I have found that it is a fun song to walk to the beat of and unknowingly get to class faster than normal while listening to. It also helps that the song is about six minutes long, so you can go a distance more without even realizing it. 

1. “Pretty Boy” by the Neighbourhood 

While “Stargazing” has been a song that I have heard everywhere, I think that “Pretty Boy” deserves more love. Although it is far more mellow than the other songs on this playlist, it feels like the perfect addition to a BTS lineup. Whether you are returning from a tiring day of class or setting up for some in-depth study time, “Pretty Boy” is a go-to tune for me in order to relax without being pulled down in the dumps. This song is a nice mixture of subtle and sweet, making it a terrific song for a chill night in reading, catching up on a favorite TV show or working on some much-needed self-care. Although it may not match the vibes of many of the other songs on this list, I can assure you that “Pretty Boy” will be a favorite of yours on cool autumn nights. 

1. “All I Wanna Do Is Love You” by M.T. Foyer 

This is one of those songs that I want the world to know about! Although it currently only has 3,568 streams on Spotify since its release five years ago, “All I Wanna Do Is Love You” is one of the absolute cutest songs that I think I have ever heard and could cheer me up on the worst of days. The interesting percussion choices and upbeat guitar make you want to move, and the lyrics themselves are sappy and heartwarming. On warm days early in the semester, this song gives you all the summer feels that you may be craving while also keeping you content with your walk and studies.  

1. “Amoeba” by Clairo 

Lastly on my back-to-school playlist is a newer favorite by Clairo. Any playlist can be made by a bedroom pop tune, and my go-to in that case is Clairo. While Clario has an abundance of other songs that I absolutely love, “Amoeba” is an all-around vibe that you can dance around your room to in a teenage-movie sort of way. Without being overly loud and flashy, this song from Clairo’s most recent album, Sling, has become one of my favorite pop songs to listen to at any time of the day. At the end of the day, the calming and friendly nature of Amoeba is what really makes it a standout as the last addition to my current favorites and BTS playlist.  

Hi, I'm Lilly and I am a Freshman at the University of Kansas! I love to read, write, shop, and watch movies and TV shows and I am so excited to be able to share these interests with you! I hope to have you stick around:)