My 5 Favorite Small Businesses in Lawrence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

My favorite thing about Lawrence is arguably all the small businesses around here. There are so many reasons why we should support small businesses but one reason for me is that it helps to keep the community interesting and supportive of creative endeavors. Shopping small can help promote the local economy and help to create and sustain jobs. Here are my favorite small businesses around Lawrence!

1. Lawrence Farmers’ market

Now, this isn’t one single small business but more of a collection of local farmers and businesses that you can check out all in one place. Fun fact: it’s actually Kansas’ oldest farmers’ market! The Saturday morning market is from 7:30 am to 11:30 am in the 800 block of New Hampshire St and the Tuesday evening market is from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm in South Park. You can follow them on Instagram @lawrencefarmersmarket! 

2. Jungle House

This is my newfound love. Jungle House is a cute little plant shop, located at 924 Delaware Street, that sells the coolest plants and pots. They will pot your plants for free and even offer you some cool decorative rocks for free as well! They have some really cool plants like venus fly traps, pitcher plants, and more! The prices are super reasonable and they actually have an amazing sale for the month of October on monsteras. You can also find them on Instagram @junglehousegoods.

3. Java Break

Java Break is easily one of my favorite spots to study on campus. They have great coffee, great food, and they always have great music playing. They have really impressive and funky decorations and each room has a different theme. The baristas are amazing and they have so many cool drink options. They’re also open until 9:00 pm so it’s great for late-night studying. You can find this place right off of Mass St at 17 E Seventh St and you can see all the cool drinks and food they have to offer at www.thejavabreak.com.

4. Liquid Garden Juice Co.

Liquid Garden Juice Co. is a local pressed juice shop that bottles and delivered in and around Lawrence and they are so delicious. Right now, they have a seasonal drink that has cranberry, apple, lemon, and ginger. Their mission is to “inspire a lifestyle of healthy mind, body, and soul in our community” which I love. You can order from their website at www.liquidgardenjuiceco.com and you can follow them on Instagram @liquidgardenjuiceco. 

5. Delaney and Loew

Delaney and Loew is a cute little boutique that carries kitchenware and homegoods. My favorite things from there is the Southern Pickled Garlic, Candied Jalapenos, and the Blueberry Burbon Pecan Jam. They also have some great seasonal candles and even one candle called “Adulting” that smells like “early nights and steady paychecks” or fig and cashmere. Either way, this boutique is the best place to get some cool home goods for you or for someone else as a gift. You can follow the shop on Instagram @delaneyandloew.

Hi! I'm a freshman at KU studying psych and art history. I love to write about fashion, health, and music!