This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It is tradition that everyone watch scary movies during the Halloween season. So, if you’re stuck just watching the classics we have all watched a million times, here is a list of movies for you to check out!

Case 39 (2009)

If you weren’t already somewhat afraid of the idea of caring for a child, then this movie will put you on edge! Case 39 stars Renne Zellweger who plays a social worker that tries to help Lillith, a little girl who is not at all what she seems. Little Lillith spends her time ruining the lives of all the characters in the movie by bringing their worst fears to life. The next time a kid asks you what you’re most afraid of, I’d be careful what you tell them! 

Carrie (2013)

The new Carrie is almost an exact replica of the original, only with more fire and special effects. I think the new version fits right into modern society almost more than the original. Carrie is an awesomely horrifying film to me because let’s be honest, who wants to be humiliated on prom night!? This movie presents a fear for many young women who don’t want to be embarrassed, and may also teach a lesson to those mean girls out there. Carrie (2013) is now out in theaters, and if you aren’t a theater person, you can always rent the original!

The Bad Seed (1956)

In case you haven’t noticed, a lot of scary movies involve creepy little girls. Rhonda, the child star of The Bad Seed, seems to be an exceptional child that says “Yes ma’am” and “No ma’am” AND keeps her room cleaned. When I start keeping my room clean you may want to start wondering if I haven’t turned into a psycho. Rhonda has a problem about wanting everything she asks for and takes matters into her own hands when people tell her no. If you love classic movies of any kind then you would enjoy this old thriller!

Sinister (2012)

I’m not a huge fan of Hollywood horror, but I thought Sinister was pretty great! I refused to go see this movie when it first came out because I thought the previews were just plain dumb, so I waited until I could rent it… and I made the mistake of watching it in the dark, alone (yup, I’m 20 and afraid of the dark). Yet another movie about freaky kids that left me hoping there wasn’t an attic in my apartment with scary home movies, and maybe there is, but I’m not checking. Of all the recent scary movies I’ve watched, this is one I would recommend to anyone and everyone who likes scary movies.

The Shining (1980)

Jack Nicholson is generally a beast when it comes to acting and I think this is one of his best roles. Nicholson plays a father who has taken his family with him to his new job at a secluded hotel. He has a psychotic version of Stockholm Syndrome when a snowstorm traps him and his family in the hotel, and he grabs an axe and decides he will try to kill his family. This movie is a little over two hours long, just enough time to cram in all the insane happenings going on inside this hotel. This movie is considered to be one of the scariest movies of all time that everyone should watch at least once.

Evil Dead (2013)

If you have ever seen the original Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, then you know that this a good remake. The special effects surprisingly worked to this movie’s advantage and made it even more horrifying. Another aspect of this movie that made it so awesome to me was the use of duct tape. I haven’t actually rewatched it to count how many times it’s used, but there are more than a few times when the characters use duct tape as their go-to for wrapping up their wounds. This movie is available on DVD, so there is no reason you shouldn’t watch it this Halloween season.

The Exorcist (1973)

This movie is said to be the scariest of them all. The Exorcist. Just the name makes me cringe. I watched this movie for the first time when I was 6 years old and I was too scared to watch it again until I was 16. Yes, this movie scared me ten years straight. For being made in the 70s this movie is pretty graphic which is probably why it was so scary. If you’re into the paranormal and weird possessions then grab a friend that is willing to hold your hand through the movie. You’ll need it!

The Conjuring (2013)

I have never been so scared in a movie theater until I saw The Conjuring. First of all, “based on a true story” movies still freak me out even though I know it is overexaggerated. On top of Patrick Wilson being hot as usual, this movie will provide you with several good shocks and jumps which is what scary movies are supposed to do. I wish you good luck with this one, ladies. 

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

Most Underrated Scary Movie Award goes to: Jeepers Creepers. Horror movies are good when they leave some things to the viewer’s imagination, and Jeepers Creepers does just that. We never see The Creeper until closer to the end of the movie which makes us wonder just what that thing is that is after Darry and Tricia. 

Halloween (2007)

If a remake was to ever win an award for Best Remake, Rob Zombie’s Halloween would take the gold. The original is a great classic horror film, but I love what Zombie did with this movie. He gives an entire backstory as to why Michael Myers is the killer that he is and what he went through before he showed up on Halloween night to kill Laurie and her friends. Zombie also used his own musical talents to revamp the theme song and make it much more chilling than the original. The remake and the original should both be at the top of your Halloween watch-list this year and every year!  

I am a junior Film and Media Studies major at the University of Kansas. In my spare time I love writing screenplays, watching movies, and hanging out with my Husky, Keno.