Michael Scott: The Perfect Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

*Sigh* So, it appears, The Office is indeed over. Allow me to pause for a minute, so I can wipe the tear drops off my keyboard.

While the last episode aired in May, Dunder Mifflin’s beloved boss, Michael Scott, left several seasons ago. Nothing was the same after his departure. There’s just something about Michael that you can’t help but love. He single-handedly stole my heart the moment he first blurted, “That’s what she said.” After that, I knew my life would never be the same.

I’m here to comfort those, who like myself, feel like they lost a friend. I also want to share with those who may not have known him very well, just how very special he was. Here are several reminders why Michael Gary Scott is the perfect best friend.

1. He can dance.

Has there ever been a moment when Michael wasn’t down to bust-a-move? Why a college kid wouldn’t want to be associated with the life of the party sure beats me.

2. He’s a baller.

Take him to the Rec, and he’ll show everyone up. I might even go so far as to match him up against Andrew Wiggins.

3. He likes to shop.

Burlington Coat Factory, anyone? Michael has always been one to appreciate a little retail therapy.

4. He’s the best bartender.

Michael doesn’t skimp. Lose him at a party? Your best bet is that he’s probably serving up drinks….or dancing.

5. He never forgets birthdays.

Not only does he NOT forget birthdays, but he also sings the high notes to “Happy Birthday.”

6. He likes parkour.

Don’t know what parkour is? It was only the internet sensation of 2004. Here, I’ll just let Michael show you a little snippet of how it’s done.

7. He will give the best speech at your wedding.

It may not be rehearsed, and it may not be appropriate. But you can bet every last word will be spoken from the heart.

8. He isn’t perfect.

Like Miley says, “Everyone makes mistakes.” And so does Michael Scott.

9. He always has the best intentions.

Even if he screws up, you can count on him to make everything right again. 

9. Also, did I mention that he can dance?

Brea Cudney is currently a senior at the University of Kansas, majoring in Communication Studies, with a minor in Journalism. Brea is an avid fan of The Office, addicted to pickles, obsessed with squirrels and a lover of all things crimson and blue. Rock Chalk!