Meet SUA President Bea Tretbar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Ever been to a large concert or comedy event on campus? Or even a cooking or craft class? Chances are, Student Union Activities (SUA) was behind that event. And working behind the scenes for SUA to make sure all of these events go well is SUA President Bea Tretbar (@beatricetretbar). Bea is a senior from Wichita majoring in Journalism- Strategic Communications, while also minoring in business and economics.

After attending SUA events Rock Chalk Block Party and Night on the Hill, Bea was hooked on SUA and knew she had to join as a committee member. The very next year she became the Coordinator for the Fine Arts Committee and then served her junior year as the Coordinator for the Culinary Committee. When you meet Bea at an SUA event, you can see how much she loves SUA and the joy that it brings on campus.

Bea and fellow SUA Exec Member Subha Upadhyayula

“We hold so many different types of events that we have something for everyone. From educational events to social events to cultural events, we really pride ourselves on the different kinds of events people can choose from. We give people something to look forward to.” 

Bea really sees SUA as the group that got her aqcuainted with KU. Even from her freshman year, she was learning how to be successful on campus from the people that she had met. For new students, she would suggest joining an organization or getting involved on-campus as soon as they can. “By joining a club, you make campus smaller,” she said. “It’s a great way to meet people who have a common interest as you.” 

When she’s not planning and attending SUA events, you can find Bea as a member of Kappa Delta sorority, working as a Peer Leadership Consultant and on Mortar Board. But for Bea, school definitely still comes first. When asked how she juggles so much while going to school, she said “I make sure to allot time throughout the week for SUA, volunteering, other campus clubs. I cross things off my to-do list as I go. If I am having a heavy school week, I let my advisers and executive team know. We are students first. It’s important not to forget that.”

2014-2015 SUA Executive Board

In the future, Bea sees herself in Kansas City working in Marketing. But for now, she is taking advantage of each day and the impact that SUA is making on campus.

“It’s really hard to pinpoint one accomplishment. SUA is vital for the student life experience and can have a great impact on a students life, whether it is just an event or the hands-on leadership experience. Whenever I see one of my committee members succeed or whenever I see someone really moved by an event, I feel proud.”

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.