Mason “DJ Uncle Jesse” Kilpatrick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’ve listened to the  KU student-run radio KJHK 90.7 FM, there’s a good chance you’ve had the pleasure of hearing DJ Uncle Jesse, or Mason Kilpatrick, as his friends know him. A junior in Film and Media Studies, Mason is the Multimedia Director at KJHK. In this role, he produces all video content from the station, including this great Full House promo. Plus, he gets to produce Live @ KJHK, an award-winning program that bringing in local and national bands to play live on-air. You can see more of his work at the Youtube Channel Live @ KJHK.

Photo provided by Mason Kilpatrick

Mason started his KJHK journey his freshman year with an overnight DJ-ing shift. He says he got involved with KJHK because: “I love supporting local art, specifically local music. Art, in any form, is something I try to support on a daily basis.” A huge lover of Lawrence and KU, Mason is proud of the work that KJHK does for the KU community. He believes that KJHK is important because of the awareness it brings to the local music scene. He said, “We provide a service of what true radio stations should be: a voice for the local community that gets people involved. Whether it is through commercials for CCO, game coverage of KU athletics or interviews for concerts, we are always urging our listeners to get involved.”

Photo by Jake Waters

Besides being DJ Uncle Jesse, Mason is also the Vice President of the KU Filmworks Club, which he helped bring back after a few years of absent on-campus. Along with President Savannah Rodgers, he was able to bring it back to campus this Spring and expects the group to do big things this coming Fall!

Photo provided by Mason Kilpatrick

For all you KU students out there, Mason’s biggest piece of advice is to get involved! “Nothing is more rewarding than knowing that you are working on a project that you are passionate about. Make a difference in not only your life, but others around,” said Mason. “My KJHK advisor, the great Tom Johnson, once said, “1. Help the most people you can. 2. Hurt the least people you can. 3. Go.” That is what I now what live by every day of my life. Find something you are passionate about, and do it, for the benefit of yourself and others.”

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.