This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The Student Senate handles many issues, and many of these issues are geared toward improving a student’s experience at KU. Student Body President, Marcus Tetwiler (@KUPresident), is a member of Ad Astra Coalition and a senior history major. The results of the election were announced earlier this year in April. Marcus and current Vice-President, Emma Halling, earned 67.6 percent of votes, and their competitor, KUnited, earned 32.4 percent of votes.

“I was exhausted, but very happy and truly proud of my team. I was happy for my supporters too,” said Marcus.

Marcus works with the administration and student body, communicating with both groups and delivering information from one to the other.

“I do this and make regular reports on the progress of the executive branch initiatives by addressing student senate every other Wednesday,” said Marcus.

The senate as a whole tends to issues that affect the student body and develop permanent solutions to those problems. Marcus is currently working on several different projects, his favorite being the improvement of KU election structure and changing how it is ran.

Marcus’ biggest concern involves the cutting of state allocations, with Kansas being one of few states that cut funding for universities. KU’s funding has been cut by $3.3 million for the current school year, and another possible $2 million for the 2014-2015 school year.

“Money is the issue this year,” said Marcus.

Being student body president can be a stressful job, but Marcus doesn’t let this get to him.

“I refuse to feel overwhelmed. I really love getting to know so many great and diverse people across our equally great campus and I hope to leave KU better than I found it.”

Junior at the University of Kansas with an addiction to coffee, warm weather, and Urban Outfitters. facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cecilia.h.cho twitter: https://twitter.com/ceciliacho92 instagram: cecilia__cho92