Career

Make Extra Cash Selling Items On This App Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’re looking through your room, and you find a lot of old clothes, shoes, electronics, collectibles etc. that you may not want or use anymore, and you’re looking to make some quick and extra cash over winter break, then you should check out the app called Mercari.

Mercari is a buying and selling app, where users can upload used or even brand new items, all from their phones. You can sell or buy almost anything and it only takes a couple of minutes to snap a pic of the item, describe it, set the price you’re asking for, and upload it. Mercari also has prepaid shipping labels, so when someone buys your item, Mercari will email you the shipping label, and all you got to do is package it up, tape that label on, and drop it off at your nearest USPS, UPS, or FedEx location.

Two things you should know when selling an item though is:

1. You determine whether you, as the seller, would like to pay for the shipping cost, or if you want your buyer to.
  2. There is a 10% selling fee that goes to the app site.

I have personally used Mercari many times, and I have sold about 50-60 items, making over $350!

I know many people get skeptical about buying and selling apps because many fear of getting scammed or ripped off. But from past experience, Mercari is very safe, and has both a buyer and seller protection meaning. As a buyer, if you receive an item that does not match the item description, you have the right to return it, and receive a refund because that was essentially the sellers fault. And as a seller, as long as your item 100% matches the description, and you include everything a buyer needs to know, you will receive your money no matter what. Even if the buyer wants to end up returning the item, just because they “changed their mind.”

So I say, give this app a try over winter break, sell some things you may not wear or need anymore. You’ll never know how much you could make.

Credit

Communications Major at The University of Kansas