Luciferous Logolepsy: An Article For My Fellow Writers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Hello, my name is Justine Louise Powls. I’m 20 years old, and I suffer from Luciferous Logolepsy. Like all of you, it’s something I was born with and it’s something I live with on a daily basis.

Luciferous Logolepsy is defined as an illuminating obsession with words. Although, if you’re a writer, you do probably suffer from this, but I believe that those of us who write poetry or prose suffer far more than those that write non-fiction or informative pieces, simply because of abstraction. I suffer so much that I have an extremely lengthy list of quotes in my notes on my cell phone, I spend most of my free time reading famous author quotes and song lyrics, and when I have a thought I normally try to make them into poems or rhymes.

Photo from Pinterest.com

Words can carry so much meaning and beauty it’s RIDICULOUS. Especially when the words in a sentence create such an abstract and gorgeous meaning. For example, this right here is the cream to my corn, the apple to my pie, the pb to my j, one of my favorites:

“…sailing into a keen city which nobody’s ever visited, where it’s always spring and everyone’s in love and flowers pick themselves.” – E.E. Cummings

HOLD ON, I FELL IN LOVE. JUST A SECOND, EVERYONE…

Okay, so anywho, you may say what I’m seeing here and you may step what I’m smelling in, so if that’s the case you may have Luciferous Logolepsy.

If you experience any of the following symptoms access a form of literature immediately:

·      Reading a perfectly constructed sentence feels like a shot of dopamine to the brain

·      You enjoyed/still enjoy vocabulary lists assigned in class

·      You find yourself reading famous author quotes on the internet every second you get

·      You hate cliché quotes such as “you’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching, love like you’ll never be hurt, sing like there’s nobody listening, and live like it’s heaven on earth” (no offense to William Purkey; great quote, just overused in my opinion)

·      You constantly pin from the quotes section on Pinterest

·      You enjoy reading abstract and literary pieces- pieces that make you think about the world

·      You have your favorite author quotes memorized or written down where you can access them within 5 seconds if need be

·      You find yourself wanting to write out serious things you want to say first instead of saying it out loud

·      You find yourself on Google search typing in “synonym for…” just to find more words that might sound cooler than the one you’re currently using

·      You have a new book to read every 1-2 weeks

If you resonate with any of the above, a great way to cope with something like this is by reading millions of literary pieces and finding the time to write some things yourself. When you read a sentence and it just flows, whether it’s poetry, prose, fiction, non-fiction, or the like, it’s something I think all writers secretly, or obviously, find some serious satisfaction in. Words written down can say the things that we can’t find the strength to say out loud. Writing doesn’t just provide entertainment for those of us who find it completely fascinating and wonderful, but it can also be helpful in stressful situations. Some find the most comfort in other’s words, and some may find the most comfort in seeing their own words finally expressed. I see language as one of the most valuable assets we as humans possess and I think it’s sad that it never gets told how great it is…

Photo from Pinterest.com

Dear language,

You’re not boring. You’re beautiful and wonderful and don’t you ever let anyone tell you you’re not.

Yours Truly,

Justine Louise Powls

Photo from Pinterest.com