Let’s Get This Grammy: Women Are Stepping Up to Sweep the Grammys This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

After last year’s pitiful attempt to recognize women at the Grammy awards, it is exciting to see such a change in this year’s lineup.

Image credit

In the past, women have been forgotten about when it comes to music awards. Look at the 2018 show. The only woman to win an award during the live show was Alessia Cara, all other award recipients shown during the telecast were men. Even Lorde, the one woman to be nominated for “Album of the Year” was not invited to perform, while all the men nominated were. There were an outstanding number of categories that not a single woman was nominated for.

This year, the people are going to have to step back because a whole ton of girl-power is coming at them. 

Five out of eight nominees for “Album of the Year” are women. Six out of eight nominees for “Best New Artist” are women. Women such as Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, H.E.R., Janelle Monae, and Kacey Musgraves are heading the fight. 

To bring even more power, women are also stepping up behind the scenes. This year, Linda Perry is nominated for “Producer of the Year” for the songs “Harder Better Faster Stronger”, “Served Like a Girl”, and “28 Days in the Valley”. After 61 years of Grammy awards, Perry is the ninth woman to ever be nominated for this category, and the first woman to be nominated in 15 years. After Sunday, she could be the first woman to ever win this prize.

Image credit

Even if the women in these categories don’t take home the prize, this is a remarkable feat. Just by sheer numbers, we can see the change from 2018.

When women step and speak their mind (or even better, sing about it), people will listen and other women will love it. That is why there has been such a drastic change. It comes from the need to gain respect and power. 

I am so thankful to all the women nominated for getting out there and showing the world that if we’re given the chance, we will not back down.

Native Wisconsinite studying journalism at the University of Kansas.