Let Your Brown Leather Riding Boots Rest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s safe to say that college girls have a special place in their heart for tall riding boots. Just like “Ugg Boots” in our middle school years, these shoes have been a loyal item in your closet that you just can’t seem to let go. For some, riding boots have become a necessity and almost a nightmare to live without. But have we closed ourselves off from all the other adorable ways to dress up our feet in the winter? There are many pros that come with sporting your favorite riding boots. Aside from the style aspect, the winter durability these shoes have is unbeatable. And if you go to any shoe store once fall rolls around, you are bound to see endless rows of riding boots in all the colors and sizes you can dream of. Unfortunately, there is a big con with these boots that people have started to notice. They are the trend of the time period that are rapidly becoming over worn. I’ve seen these boots worn with dresses, jeans, leggings, skirts. Any outfit you can think of, riding boots have probably been paired with it. With the upcoming colder seasons, these boots are tall, sturdy, and sound like the ideal winter kicks but after a while, they might be beginning for mercy. As tough as it may be, let your boots take a little holiday vacation and try to wear some alternates that are just as cute and season appropriate.

1.       Cooler weather means combat boot season.

If you are still wanting to wear boots but are looking for an edgier vibe, combat boots are the way to go. Most of the time they are made of leather, or faux leather depending on your price range, so they are perfect if you have to walk through snow or rain to class. Similar to riding boots, there are so many different types of combat boots you can find. Some can actually look like traditional combat boots or there are others that have studs, fancy laces or cool designs on the side. The options are endless!

2.       Feel fancy in Oxfords.

Oxfords are definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but with they are shoes that have been around for years and have never failed in the style department. Dating all the way back to the 1800’s and gaining popularity in women fashion in the 1920’s, these shoes will give you a more sophisticated look to your outfits. They come in a variety of materials but are most popular in their suede material worn by trendy college women. Oxfords are the perfect shoe for all of your campus needs. If you need to dress more business casual, want to pair them with tights and a dress or just decided to wear your favorite boyfriend jeans and sweater to class, these shoes won’t fail you.

3.       Whip out your favorite sneakers.

Whether your go-to sneaker look involves Converse, deck shoes, or the ever faithful Keds, your feet will surely feel comfortable and secure in the winter seasons. Sneaker type shoes are a great alternative to riding boots because the easily give you a laid back look and are quick to throw on with any outfit. Although they don’t give you as much protection as riding boots and might not stand up as well in the snow or rain, sneakers are the shoes to keep your feet the most comfortable on your long walks to class.

4.       Break out the booties.

Booties are similar to traditional boots, but are cut shorter and commonly have a small heel to them. Now if the thought of wearing something with a heel just for a regular day sounds crazy remember that the heels on booties are typically very wide and sturdy so they won’t make you wobble. Instead of hiding half of your legs with tall riding boots, these shoes come right up to your ankle and will help elongate your legs while showing off your favorite jeans. Booties also look great with a multitude of pieces from your winter wardrobe. Grab a pair of tights, a dress, and booties and you’re good to go.