KU Student Discounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Let’s face it ladies, college life is pricey. It’s tricky to have a social life without all of your money evaporating
from your wallet. Sometimes being a student does pay off. Thankfully in Lawrence flashing your college ID can get you great deals in certain spots around town.

Entertainment

It seems like the ticket price to watch a movie at the theater keeps rising higher and higher. Luckily, South Wind 12 Theaters in Lawrence knocks a bit off the ticket price when a student presents a valid student ID.

If you are dying to get out of the house on a weeknight but don’t want to spend too much cash, try out bowling. There are two options for the bowlers in Lawrence. Royal Crest Lanes offers a half price bowling and shoe rental with a student ID on Tuesday nights 9:00 pm to 1:00 am. Friday nights in the Kansas Union is the place to be if you want a cheap deal. Jaybowl has $1 night. That means games, shoes, drinks and hot dogs are only a dollar. After 10:00 pm. KU students can get free cosmic bowling. Jaybowl has deals all nights of the week too, and bowling for students is $2.50

Food

There are tons of restaurants around Larryville that offer cheap deals and discounts on food. With the flash of your student ID, Dempsey’s offers half price burgers on Tuesdays or you can get 5 percent off your purchase at Cileto Lindo. Many restaurants have different specials on different nights so they best thing to do is inquire about student discounts. Also, look in local newspapers for coupons or ‘like’ or ‘follow’ a local restaurant on social media to find out what they have to offer that particular day. Also look for free coupon books in the bookstores on campus. These booklets are filled with coupons and deals on food (and other activities). Food seems to taste better when there is a significant amount of money taken off the ticket.

Drinks

The same goes for drinks. Bars often have a Facebook or Twitter page and they update information on their daily specials. One website to keep an eye on is localfoodandrinkspecials.com. They keep the page updated on what restaurant or bar is having a deal.