Kendall Jenner Vogue Espana Photoshoot Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Recently Kendall Jenner did a photo shoot for Espana Vogue. The theme of the shoot was ballet. Jenner portrayed a ballerina and pranced all around the studio twirling her skirt. The photo shoot angered many Dancers and Ballerinas. They felt that Kendall Jenner wrongly portrayed Ballerinas.  Others felt that a professional ballerina such as Misty Copeland could have been a model for the shoot.

The shoot inaccurately portrays ballerinas. The shoot was sexualized.  In the video, Jenner is wearing black furry points. While in a photo Jenner posted on Instagram shows that her shoes have not been broken in nor does her shoes have laces that support her ankles. Abby Miller of Dance Moms noted on Instagram that Jenner’s technique was incorrect.

Mic reached out to Michael Breeden Professional Ballerina for the Miami City Ballet, who came to Jenner’s defense.  “Ballet dancers are very used to seeing our art form ‘borrowed,’ and I think it’s a little silly to think there’s malice or ill intent behind Kendall’s shoot,” he said. “Ballet is seen as glamorous, and she’s in the business of glamor,” Hayes-Daly said.  

The issue is not Kendall Jenner. It is Vogue. Vogue should have taken the initiative to hire a professional. Vogue glamorized the job of a ballerina. Being a ballerina is not putting on a tutu and en pointe shoes. Ballerinas work long hours from 9pm to 7pm six days a week.