John Handley ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: John Handley

Year: Junior

Age: 21

Major: Chemical engineering, environmental emphasis

Hometown: Onaga, Kansas

Relationship Status: Single

Instagram: N/A

Twitter Handle: @JohnMHandley

Why KU?

When I visited the University of Kansas, it was because a friend dragged me along with him. I didn’t want to go because I was planning on going to K-State. But when I visited, it was amazing here and I loved the atmosphere. The next week I visited K-State and it felt very wrong, so I just knew KU was right for me.

What do you enjoy most about your major?

At first, I chose chemical engineering because I was interested in going into nuclear engineering or nanotechnology and Chem-E would fit either of those paths. However, now that I don’t want to do either of those, it just kind of worked out that I’m still where I need to be. I find all the problem solving and having all the stuff to keep track of really fun.

What are your hobbies?

When I’m not studying, I like to spend time with friends. I’ll get together with one of my friends, and we’ll just play piano, jam out, and sing. It’s a lot of fun and a really good outlet for stress. Other than that, I watch comedies like IT Crowd and Bob’s Burgers, or anything Disney on Netflix. I really like to read, but I don’t get to often, so that’s kinda sad. I’m also always willing to give people rides because I enjoy getting off campus sometimes.

What’re you involved in on campus?

Besides proctoring for KK scholarship hall, I lead a LGBTQA group for science, technology, engineering, and math students called oSTEM. I used to be involved with the chemistry club, but I can only make it every once and awhile now.

Favorite ’90s movie?

Okay…I actually like ’80s movies a lot more. Definitely The Breakfast Club because it’s showing very different people becoming friends who wouldn’t have done so if they weren’t there, which is kinda what happens at KU and kind of what happened in high school because I went to such a small school.

First thing you do on Sunday morning?

Coffee. Life without coffee is pointless. This sounds lame, but after that I go straight to studying.

What’s something you’re looking forward to?

Wow, that is a really open question. I’m looking forward to a break from school. It’s been a pretty real semester, and I love that, but at the same time I know I need some time to recharge.

All photos from John Handley.