This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In honor of the next season of Buzzfeed Unsolved coming out this month, I thought I would introduce you to this amazing YouTube show that not many people know about. 

Buzzfeed Unsolved is a true crime show that streams on both YouTube and Amazon Prime. This isn’t a fictional show, but a real-life video show on YouTube, yet still slightly sketched like a podcast. Unsolved is hosted by Shane and Ryan, who talk about true crime stories and explore supernatural myths from around the world. The next season was announced to release this month, the next in line being True Crime. 

Ryan, the man who does the research and reads the cases, is a believer in supernatural entities, like demons and ghosts. Shane, however, is a man of science, not believing in ghosts or demons. This contradictory viewpoint creates hilarious banter between both of them as they explore the different cases. If you love true crime stories and learning about supernatural myths, which is broken up by comedic relief from the hosts, then Buzzfeed Unsolved is for you.

During the true-crime seasons, they explore unsolved cases from the past. Some examples of well-known unsolved cases are the case of the Black Dahlia and Jack the Ripper. They also explore unsolved cases that aren’t well-known, but are really interesting and weird; like D.B. Cooper and the Collar Bomb case. 

Every season they switch back and forth from true crime to the supernatural. Some supernatural cases examples are exploring haunted prisons or going out to look for Bigfoot. They don’t always go out to the site for the supernatural cases, but when they do, it makes for such a fun episode since the episodes are scarier, yet more hilarious since we get to see Shane and Ryan’s reactions in being in the spooky places. 

Not many people know about Buzzfeed Unsolved and those who do but don’t watch the show judge it based on the fact that it’s from Buzzfeed. Despite the show being from Buzzfeed, Shane and Ryan make the show so interesting and comedic, so people who are judging just need to get over the Buzzfeed fact and watch. 

They combine the story of the crime or tale of Ryan’s spooky voice reading with visual pictures and videos that aren’t too graphic to help explain the story. You get so into the story, but then suddenly Shane will interrupt with a witty response or question, sparking a comedic bit between Ryan and Shane that helps calm the creepy vibe of the true-crime story. The way they retell the crimes and myths helps you learn about the cases, yet their amusing comments during the tale help you not feel freaked out or too spooked. 

One of the ongoing jokes is that Ryan believes in ghosts and demons and aliens. But Shane is completely against the idea. His none fear of the supernatural creates for a comedic atmosphere when he tries to freak Ryan out when they visit haunted places. 

two skeletons
Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash

They also just recently started doing something called Post Mortem. After the episode, they have people ask questions on Instagram or on YouTube comments, and then a few days after the episode they answer questions about the case to help further engage the audience. My comments and questions have never been chosen, but I can imagine the honor of them selecting your question to talk about.

Now, as you watch you have to remember they are entertainers, not actual detectives or anything. They just talk about the case, making funny comments throughout. They don’t actually try to solve anything, which is why it’s so ironic when they always say at the end of the episode, “I guess this case will remain, unsolved.”

Honestly, the show is great for people who want a spooky show this fall. The show goes on during the whole year, yet it is a perfect time to get started now. There are currently six seasons of both true crime and supernatural, so over a hundred episodes that you can binge. Also, on their channel, they have combined all the episodes into one video, so each season is about four hours long. Perfect for turning on if you just want to binge all the episodes during one season.

I honestly don’t know if I can explain how much I love Buzzfeed Unsolved in this article alone. The show is so great if you love learning about true crimes, but can’t deal with gruesome visuals or need comedic relief to break up the creepy vibes from the stories. Shane and Ryan are so funny, and they make the show so amusing to watch. I don’t even have trouble watching it at night alone.

Halloween pumpkins with candles
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

I highly recommend for people to check out the show on YouTube, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. It’s the perfect series to get into during the spooky season, or just year-round if you like learning about myths and true crime. If you judge based on it being from Buzzfeed, don’t. Buzzfeed Unsolved is my favorite show on YouTube, and I highly recommend everyone check it out this month. Hopefully, you can possibly binge hours of episodes to get ready for the next season!

Hi! My name is Alex Corbin and I'm a sophomore at KU majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience in the Pre-Med track! I'm a huge movie and TV show fan, and my life has been taken over by TikTok. I hope you like reading my articles!