Impactful Documentaries About the Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In honor of Earth Day, here are a few documentaries about the environment to inspire you.

Kiss the Ground (2020)

This documentary is an interesting investigation into regenerative agriculture. The film follows farmers, activists, scientists, and politicians as they advocate for regenerative agriculture. This form of farming focuses on rehabilitation. Things like topsoil regeneration, increasing biodiversity, improving the water cycle, increasing resilience to climate change, and strengthening the health and vitality of farm soil. The documentary does a fantastic job of introducing these ideas in a digestible way and explaining the benefits of them. Check this documentary out if you are interested in how farming can help save the earth.

Our Planet (2019)

This is a Netflix series, narrated by the one and only David Attenborough. The series discusses the many different habitats on Earth, from the forests to the polar ends of our world. The series features incredibly beautiful and breathtaking visuals of plants, animals, and different environments while also sending an underlying message of environmental conservation to the viewers. Attenborough often focuses on the good of our planet and inspires others to appreciate our home as well. Watch this series to learn more about the many biomes on Earth and find inspiration to save our planet.

Local Farms Food
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Food, Inc. (2008)

This documentary is a harsher contrast to the beauty of Kiss the Ground and Our Planet. The film dives deep into the corporate food industry of America and shines a light on the many horrors of it. It is a stark wake up call to many about the problems in our society and it entices you to make a change in your own life. The film is unfiltered and not for the faint of heart, but it is an important story. It personally opened my eyes to the major issues especially in our meat industry. Check this documentary out if you want an intensive look into the food industry and why it is so important to enact change.

The Biggest Little Farm (2018)

On a contrary note, The Biggest Little Farm is a beautifully heartwarming story of a couple who decide to leave their city life and move to the countryside to start their own farm. The couple attempt to create a sustainable farm that focuses on generating crops while keeping the environment healthy and clean. It is an inspiring story about a family that goes against the grain in the hopes of living an eco-friendlier life and inspiring others to do the same. The pair cultivates a beautiful farm and prove that farmers can farm sustainably. Check this film out if you want an inspiring story that teaches you about the modes of eco-friendly farming. And, if you can’t get enough of their story, check out their sequel that checks back in on them 10 years later, still enjoying their sustainable farm life.

Vineyard Landscape
Alexandra R / Spoon
Sophie Sanders is a writer for the Her Campus at University of Kansas chapter. She has been a part of Her Campus KU since August of 2022. Sophie focuses on entertainment when writing for Her Campus KU. She enjoys writing about current films, TV shows and books. Sophie was awarded the Writing Member of the Month by the HCKU writing executives in February. Sophie is a sophomore at the University of Kansas and is double majoring in Film & Media Studies with an emphasis in Production and English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Apart from Her Campus, Sophie is involved in the Film Department at KU. She works as an office assistant in the front office and she is involved with KU film clubs. Sophie enjoys reading, writing creatively, and watching movies in her free time. Some of her favorite books include Six of Crows, Normal People, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. She is a huge fan of the Scream movie franchise. Her favorite Scream is Scream VI. She also loves La La Land and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Sophie enjoys Yoga and board games. Sophie is passionate about issues pertaining to women and lgbtq+ people as well.