Immunizations You Need Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of year again: the dreaded flu season. But along with getting your flu shot, Cammy Guinn, registered nurse at Watkins Memorial Health Center, says students should keep their other routine immunizations updated as well. Guinn says students can check with the Center for Disease Control website to find out what immunizations they need.

Here is a list of a few routine immunizations that college students should make sure to have.

1. HPV- A.K.A. Human Papillomavirus is a sexually transmitted infection that can cause genital warts and cervical cancer. The vaccine is a series of three shots. Guinn says it is recommended to be given between the ages of 11-26 for both men and women.
  2. Tetanus- Guinn says you want to get this immunization every five years. Tetanus can be contracted through cuts or breaks in the skin. This disease causes your muscles to tighten and it can become hard to swallow.
  3. Meningitis- Bacterial meningitis is a deathly disease and is highly contagious. Most universities require students to have this immunization before living in dorms or in close proximity to other students. Guinn says students should get a booster in five years after receiving the first immunization shot.

It’s important to keep up-to-date on your immunizations. Guinn said to check with your parents if you don’t have your own immunization records. Watkins offers immunizations by appointment with a valid student ID.