I Watched The Bachelorette Premiere In A Sorority House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

SPOILER ALERT… sort of.

The coronavirus has taken many things away from us during this pandemic. It’s taken our freedom, social lives, and let’s not forget, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and Bachelor in Paradise. The reality series that a majority of the nation watches to fulfill their need for drama and artificial romance. Tonight, October 13th, 2020, was the premiere of The Bachelorette, after a long break due to quarantine. There are a bunch of rumors surrounding this upcoming season and more drama to come. I had the pleasure of watching the premiere tonight in a sorority house. So, I thought I would share my thoughts on the first episode of this season because let’s be honest, a lot of us have been waiting for the Bachelor Nation to resume.

minimalist desk space with a pink folder and a plant. a gold plaque reads "lady boss"
Photo by Marten Bjork from Unplash

If you haven’t been updated, the bachelorette this season is Clare Crawley. She is currently 39 years old, which makes her the oldest bachelorette in the history of the reality series. Clare Crawley was introduced into Bachelor Nation in 2014 on season 18 of The Bachelor. The Bachelor for that season was Juan Pablo who was a mess of his own. Clare Crawley became fairly famous after that season because it got her ranked on The Bachelor’s iconic moments list. While Juan Pablo was breaking up with Clare, she decided to tell him off completely and rip him a new one on national television. This woman does not deal with any B.S. and she has made that clear from the start.

bed of roses
Pixabay

Tonight she met with 31 men trying to win her heart. While meeting all of the men, Clare said that she believes she had met her husband after one man in particular named Dale. This caused the show’s host Chris Harrison to approach her before the next bachelor arrived. Nobody in the history of the show has ever said that a specific person could be their husband after the very brief introductions. Everyone that was watching this episode with me was shocked, and many women even mentioned that for a 39-year-old, Clare Crawley seems a bit immature. 

bundle of roses
Pexels / picjumbo.com

Rumor has it that in a few episodes Clare tells Chris Harrison that she is in love and doesn’t want to finish her season. This is expected to be a huge moment in the season because apparently, Tayshia Adams comes in to take Clare’s place. Tayshia Adams was originally on Colton Underwood’s season. Following that season, she appeared on Bachelor in Paradise last year. These rumors are basically confirmed and they have everybody shook. I have absolutely no clue how this season is going to look because they are doing things that have never been done before. Is Tayshia going to just date the men that Clare left her with? Nobody knows. On the bright side, there are many promising men in this season and I am excited to see how this plays out.

Red Roses
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Overall, my thoughts on the first episode were pretty scattered. To say that she had fallen in love with one man that she had met for two minutes seems a bit premature. 30 other men are putting their lives on hold hoping to fall in love with Clare, and it seems as if her mind is already made up. To me, that is a bit unfair to all of the other men. If the rumors are true though, I won’t be too torn up because Tayshia Adams is one of my favorite contestants ever. 

I am a sophomore at the University of Kansas studying Journalism and Strategic Communications.