Style

I’m Just Gonna Say It: Keeping Up With Trends Is Exhausting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We’ve all been there. We see an outfit repeated over and over again in a magazine or an Instagram feed, and the more we see it, the more we want it. However, it’s as if the universe loves playing a joke on us fashionistas because the second we finally buy the outfit we have dreamt about wearing, it becomes suddenly untrendy. And this cycle happens over and over again, and it weighs on both your wallet, and often sometimes your self-confidence. 

Over the past few years, I have found myself not really liking a lot of the current and biggest fashion trends. And once I find one I do like, it seems that it instantly goes out of style the second I buy it. 

However, also over the past few years, I have become fascinated by fashion trends and movements of the past. Whether it be the Old Hollywood looks of the 50s, mod style of the 60s, the Dynasty-esque looks of the 80s, or the ultra-girly Paris Hilton style of the early 2000s, I find myself taking most of my fashion inspiration from the past rather then my present, and leaning more towards recreating the looks of Audrey Hepburn, Madonna and Kate Moss rather than that of Bella Hadid, Ariana Grande, or Kim Kardashian.

Clueless gif
Giphy

Now I’m not saying women today have terrible taste. I take style inspiration from Blake Lively, Zendaya, Gigi Hadid, Selena Gomez, Hailey Bieber, Lily Collins, Kristen Stewart, Elle Fanning, and Meghan Markle all the time. What I am saying is that some of the trends we see modern style icons like Billie Eilish and Kylie Jenner wear or set aren’t exactly timeless. You don’t look at Rihanna’s MET gala look or Billie Elish’s Chanel Oscars look and think that you could see that in the 60s or 70s (I will attempt possibly the 80s because of her signature baginess).

A style icon since she appeared on the stylish show ‘Gossip Girl’ (and my personal favorite show of all time) in 2007, Blake Lively said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight in 2012 (while talking about her collaboration with Gucci fragrances) that she mostly looks to style icons of the past like Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Jean Seberg, and Katherine Hepburn. She also states in the same interview that she believes true style is when you can seamlessly go between any time period. She also proves this with her character’s timeless style in her 2015 film ‘The Age of Adaline’. Blake Lively is also notorious for not having a stylist, unlike many other Hollywood style icons. 

get in loser mean girls
Paramount Pictures

I agree with Blake Lively’s style philosophy. True style is when your outfit can assimilate effortlessly in the past, in the present, and more or less in the future. I have started to adapt this philosophy when shopping. I really think about things before I buy them. If I think about something for days or weeks, I know I will wear it, instead of impulsively buying something cute that will go out of style by next season. Also, I ask myself a series of questions when I shop to make sure that I will really wear what I am buying:

-What decade besides today does this piece assimilate with? The 40s? The 60s? The 80s? The 2000s?

-No matter what is trendy, can I see myself wearing this piece a year from now?

-Would I wear this a year ago?

-Can I wear this with one or more outfits?

-Which style icon of mine have I seen wear something similar or would wear this?

-How long have I been wanting something like this?

-What season is coming up next? Can I wear this in next season’s weather?

notting hill gif
Giphy

I also have a few tips for dressing timelessly, that are fun, chic, and not outdated:

-Go back to the basics

Buy basics like black T-shirts, blue jeans, leather jackets, and white button ups. Items like these never go out of style and will always be considered trendy. I mean, look at Off-duty models today and the casual looks of Audrey Hepburn in the 60s? Or even Marlon Brando in the 50s? 

-Buy trendy accessories instead of clothes, and buy them cheap

While you can buy timeless accessories too, like pearl necklaces, gold chain necklaces, tennis bracelets, and black belts, buying trendy accessories at stores like ROMWE or H&M can help make a basic white T-shirt and denim skirt trendy without exhausting yourself and your wallet. Some current trend accessories are bandanas (but worn on your head instead of a more timeless way like around your neck), small handbags, and obviously, a mask. 

-Keep a list

Like I said before, if you’ve been thinking of something for a while, and you find it, it’s probably meant to be. And you’ll probably wear it for years to come, especially if it’s a pricer item. 

-Go vintage at home

Shop in your mom’s closet. Shop in your sister’s closet. Shop in your grandma’s closet. The best part is that IT IS FREE!

-Get creative

Ever try shopping in your own closet? You might have had something from years ago that is finally trendy. Or maybe you’ll be surprised by how talented you are mixing prints.

-Find your signature color scheme

Knowing what colors look best on you will help you shop better and make your looks more timeless. It will also make you more confident. Is your closet all black? Does your closet look like a rainbow? Do you buy the same thing in three of the same colors over and over again? Do you gravitate more towards darker or lighter colors? Pastel colors or neon colors? Warmer or cooler colors? Or both? Personally, I always gravitate towards black, maroon, gray, olive green, light pink, and white. 

13 going on 30 gif
Giphy

I hope this helps and inspires you to try a new style philosophy! If you try any of these tips or gain any inspiration, tag me on social media @samigotskind!

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!