galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

How to Throw the Perfect Galentine’s Party

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Romantic comedies, junk food, fruity cocktails, crafts, games, and all my closest friends in one place? I couldn’t ask for a better time. Valentine’s Day comes around the same time every year, and every year, I am single. However, it’s still one of my favorite times of the year because whether you’re single or romantically involved, I believe you should use this time to nurture the platonic relationships in your life too! That’s why I have thrown a Galentine’s get-together every year for the past 5 years. It’s the perfect excuse to get your best gal pals together for a night full of love and fun! I’d like to think I’ve thrown some simple yet fun Galentine’s parties in the past, so here are some tips for throwing your own (even if you’re on a budget)! 

While no two Galentine’s parties are the same, there is a general recipe I’ve followed throughout the years that has worked for me. Things you’ll need:

• Cozy vibes
  • Cute decor
  • Plenty of snacks!
  • A craft or activity of some kind
  • One of your favorite rom-coms or shows to play in the background!
  • Your besties!

Step 1: Set the vibes!

Personally, I love it when my Galentine’s party just feels like a middle-school slumber party! Encourage everyone to arrive in cute pajamas (bonus points if they are red or pink!) and fill your living room with lots of pillows and blankets. You can even invite people to actually spend the night! We don’t have enough sleepovers as adults so why not?

Light some candles to warm the room and swap out overhead lighting for some nice lamps or string lights! Pro tip: find some red or pink lights for cheap at places like Dollar Tree or Hobby Lobby. I love these heart string lights from Hobby Lobby which can be used for years to come!

Step 2: Decorate!

You don’t have to spend much to add cute details to your Galentine’s party. The best part is once you throw a couple of Galentine’s parties you can collect decor to reuse over the years. Other than lights, the color scheme can instantly spruce up your space. From your serving plates to your tablecloth, the more you can create a simple color scheme, the more put together your space will look! I got this table runner for $3 at Hobby Lobby and these cute heart-shaped champagne flutes from Walmart for 98 cents each. Add some cheap balloons, and you have the cutest set up! It’s the little things!

Step 3: Snacks!

One of my favorite ways to add more “decor” to my small space is getting dual use of my snacks by using my refreshments as decorations! My go-to is a classic charcuterie board-style setup. Picking foods, candy, and drinks that are red and pink adds to the existing Valentine’s aesthetic. Think Starbursts, Sour Patch Watermelons, pink and red cupcakes, or even red grapes and apple slices if you’re feeling healthier options. Dollar Tree or any local grocery store will have what you need. I also like to choose a couple of drink options for my guests. These can be cocktails or just something as simple as pink lemonade! Again, stick with your color scheme and lean towards sweet flavors like strawberry or raspberry. A quick Pinterest search for Valentine’s drink ideas will give you plenty to work with. It doesn’t hurt to pop some popcorn or order some pizza too before the festivities begin!

Step 4: Crafts, games, activities, oh my!

It’s always good to have a bonding activity for you and your friends to focus on while you chat. My go-to is having everyone make their own Valentine’s Day card for themselves to promote self-love (arguably the most important kind)! Other ideas could be painting or friendship bracelet making. No matter what craft you choose it’ll give your guests something to remember the night by!

If you and your friends aren’t feeling crafty, you can always opt for a classic game night with your favorite board games! 

Step 5: Pick your movie or TV show

It’s not Galentine’s without a cheesy rom-com. You can have this playing while you craft or leave it for the end of the night, but having something on the screen to get everyone in the spirit of Valentine’s is essential! I’ve played movies such as To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, 27 Dresses, and Crazy Rich Asians in the past, but if a movie is too much of a commitment, playing a tv show also works. My friends and I really enjoy watching reruns of Sex and the City. 

The best part about Galentine’s is getting to spend quality time with your friends and getting to shower each other with love! No matter what you decide to do for your get-together, doing something your friend group will bond over is the key. Love should always be celebrated, especially the love we have for our friends. Make this a tradition, and let this time of year remind you to nurture your friendships year-round!

Kayla is a master's student in the Sociology department at KU where she researches health and education inequalities across race and gender. She also teaches introductory sociology courses as a GTA. Kayla used to work on the student newspaper and the campus fashion magazine in undergrad, and she is always looking for outlets to keep writing. She loves to write social commentary, book and movie reviews, and general life advice. Outside of grad school, Kayla loves to read everything from contemporary fiction to historical novels. She also loves eating good food, writing letters for her friends, making Pinterest boards to inspire herself, and watching movies with her cat Bunny.