bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

How to Run Safely on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Whether you love running or hate it, it is important to stay safe when you run outside. I have been running for years now and here are my tips for staying safe while running outside!

1. Run with a friend. 

Find a running buddy. Not only is it safer but you also have someone to hang with! Try to find someone who runs the same pace as you so your run is more enjoyable! 

Image Credit

2. Don’t Run at Night: Let’s face it, night running is so much better than running in the heat of the day but you are less visible at night which puts you at a bigger risk for getting hurt. If you do decide to run at night, make sure you wear bright reflective clothes so you are visible. 

Image Credit

3. Bring pepper spray: This might seem a little extreme, but safety first, ladies. Sadly there are some creepy people out there, so better safe than sorry. 

Image Credit

4. Tell someone you are going on a run: Let a friend or roommate know that you are leaving for a run and the amount of time you think you will be gone. This ensures that if something happens, someone will be looking out for you! 

Image Credit

5. Bring your phone: Having a phone with you ensures that if you get lost or need help, you will be able to contact a friend to help you! 

Image Credit

6. Don’t wear headphones: Running without music is rough but headphones can prevent you from hearing oncoming traffic and your surroundings. If you do wear headphones keep the volume down low so you can hear what is going on around you. 

I hope that this helps keep you safe running! Whether you run one mile or twelve, you should be proud that you got out there to run!

I am a senior journalism student from Chicago! I love snacks and hate college squirrels!