How to recover from your Netflix addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The first step in recovering from any addiction is to admit you have a problem. Netflix can be and is a serious addiction. Netflix has the ability to control your life. The addiction may just innocently begin with one episode. That one episode turns into two episodes, which is still harmless. Next, you’ve watched an entire season. One season turns into an entire series. From there, the entire Netflix inventory is at your beck and call. Here are some serious effects that Netflix may have on your life:

• Procrastination: Netflix can and usually is procrastination’s best friend. You may think you’re taking just an hour break from homework, then BAM! Four hours of your life has been shamefully given to Netflix and all your work and responsibilities were placed on the back burner (and will probably stay there until you finish your most recent addictive series on Netflix). The procrastination eventually will affect your schoolwork because you tell yourself that you can study later, when in reality, you’re just going to watch Netflix later and “study in the morning.”
  • Social life: Although there may be many advantages and disadvantages to watching an entire TV show series on Netflix, I am here to focus on how Netflix will influence your social life. Netflix is the easiest excuse for not going out and socializing with other human beings. I’m sorry to break it to you, but the characters on Netflix are not your friends, no matter how compatible your personalities may be. A Netflix addiction will consume your social life and you will then become a hermit who never leaves your computer screen. Human friends and personal interactions are good, so leave your screen and attempt socializing in the real world.
  • Health: After staying up until 4 a.m. watching Netflix and waking up and going to your 9 a.m. class, fatigue will hit you and hit you hard. Lack of sleep is inevitable when you’re addicted to a Netflix series because, as said above, it consumes your life and you feel empty without constantly viewing your favorite show. You will most likely be cranky and probably fall asleep in the classes that you spend thousands of dollars to attend. Another side effect of a Netflix addiction is snacks. Lying in bed all day and night watching Netflix can make an individual quite hungry. As you watch your show, you become so enthralled with the plot that you don’t realize that your entire box of Cheez-It’s has been devoured by your now-obese self.
  • Self-control: Be wary of the “Next episode will play in 15 seconds or hit play here” box that appears at the end of every episode in a series. After 15 seconds, the next episode plays automatically, so even if you are trying to be strong and resist, the show will go on. Netflix feeds your addiction and takes away your self-control when the next episode begins to play. It knows you are weak and susceptible to addicting TV shows, so proceed with caution.

But don’t worry… If you have a Netflix addiction, you are not alone and you can find help.