This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Regardless of what your fall break plans entail, whether it be a fun trip somewhere or a visit back home, this next week and few days will be one of the slowest. I find it easiest to pass time by keeping myself busy, and always looking forward to things I plan throughout my day! While all our lives vary, and we keep busy with our own activities, I tried my best to put together a few things to help you get through it in order to make it to fall break! 

• OCTOBER!

Let’s jump right in to the fact it is officially October and judging by the header photo of this article, you already know…. frickin’ bats. 

Personally, not a big fan of halloween and spooky stuff (I’M SORRY OK). I do LOVE scary movies though. Either way, this time of year means cute $1 halloween socks at Target, scary movies, colder weather, and the change of colors! I love taking advantage of the fall-smelling candles and pumpkin-flavored coffee, desserts, actually everything, tbh. And don’t forget to find your perfect halloweekend costume!

This season is probably my favorite. It is such a fun part of the school year too: football (because we’re a football school now), homecoming, date parties, fall break, and the start of BASKETBALL SEASON BABY!!!! Which brings me to my next point!

• Late night in the Phog!!! 

Camping or not, you’re gonna have a good time. Late night is an annual event used to kickoff basketball season and to get everyone hyped up, like we need any help with that. There’s usually a performer each year to contribute to the event. If you haven’t heard, it’s the one and only SNOOP DOGG. How did we get Snoop Dogg to come to KU? No idea but who cares. I am pumped for this event and for this season. 

Image Credit

• Home football vs. OU

Need another way to show some Jayhawk spirit and Friday night’s late night isn’t enough for you? Fine! How about waking up to tailgate at 9 in preparation to KU’s home football game against OU on Saturday the 5th? It might be a good game, it might not even be close, but regardless, I would not refrain from saying this year the football games have actually been kind of fun to go to and full of energy, at least the first half! Or first quarter… 

Image Credit

• Midterms

I know fall break usually means midterms of some sort, either before or after break, but hey, there are two ways to look at this! 1) If you have to wait until after fall break to take them, lucky for you, you don’t have to be stressing before you leave and can use your time to either pack or do other not studying things. Or 2) if you DO have tests before break like I do, make it a FUN TIME. Fun and studying should never go together in a sentence if you ask me, but if you get together with the right group of friends and right selection of snacks, you can make a party outta that, making it less miserable!! At least we’re getting a few tests out of the way, so we won’t have to stress when we get back! Midterms also mean we’re pretty much halfway done with the semester, so keep a positive mind and keep grinding!

• Exercise

With the weather cooling down, it actually makes outside an ideal temperature to go for a run, walk, or do some yoga if you’re into that! The cooler air makes a run actually pleasant at 3 PM rather than feeling like passing out while the sun beats on you. Of course the rec is a just-as-good option, but can you really get as good of a view of the sunset? Probably not. Exercising is also a great way to take a break from studying/stress you’ve got going on in your hectic life, so take advantage of the nice weather and the ability to get out and get moving!

• NEW MUSIC FRIDAYS

Lastly, something that gets me looking forward to the end of the week are New Music Fridays. This is a playlist on Spotify where new music from all kinds of artists are compiled into one place, and I seriously get so excited to hear new tracks by all my faves. Ironically, I’m more of an Apple Music person, but the idea of New Music Fridays started from when I used Spotify still, so I just go with it. When thinking about fall break and how close it is, just think in a mindset of “how many New Music Fridays until break??”. I know this keeps me motivated to get through the week all the way to Friday!! 

Image Credit

No matter how you’re spending fall break, make it a good one! We can make it there together; let’s crush this next week!

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?