Style > Decor

How I’ve Started Bringing Fall Energy Into My Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Now that we are heading toward the end of September, we are finally settling into our college routine for the semester, and many stores are being filled to the brim with Halloween festivities, I have found that now is the perfect time to put Pinterest to use and create a comfortable and warm space for me to enjoy through my sleep and studies. While I am still in the early phase of my building stage, these are a few of the items that I have decided to pick up this year to achieve the autumn-inspired bedroom of my dreams. 

LIGHTING 

Lighting within my area has always been a crucial part of my decorative journey. For this season, I found the perfect glow from a $10 box of stringed orange bulbs at Target within the seasonal section of the store. Within the small amount of space that I have in my dorm room, I decided to drape my lights over the mirror which is centered on the wall across from my bed, and plugging them in every night has become a vital part of my night routine. Lighting is very important, and having a subtle glow in the background adds to the vibe while you study, read a book or watch a movie. Other small lighting ideas include a regular strand of white Christmas lights, fairy lights, salt lamps or even a fun and unique side lamp that you may find at an antique mall or thrift store. There are so many ways to incorporate lights into your space, that it can be hard to pick just one. 

BLANKETS 

While throw blankets tend to be something that I hoard and can never get enough of, it would not be a cozy fall list without a mention of the perfect throw. This year, I brought a white blanket with silky rosettes from home and bought a fuzzy sage green blanket with adorable lace trim from HomeGoods for around $14! Having these two simple blankets helps me make my bed the perfect space to wind down at night without breaking the bank and gives me items that are neutral enough to be used for upcoming seasons as well. If you have a little more to spend on bedding in your budget, an earthy toned quilt could also make another comforting layer to add to your room for the cooler fall months. 

WALL ART 

I am the opposite of a minimalist, which means that there is nothing more that I enjoy than finding fun pictures and posters to put up all over my walls. While posters themselves can add up quickly, I have found some tips over the last couple of years that I feel has saved me lots of money in the décor department. 

First, I have found that putting postcards on my walls has helped me maximize my visual area at a decently low cost. I constantly keep a collage of postcards that I have acquired at various travel destinations over the years with many different patterns and shapes on my wall wherever I may live. While it gives me something to look at and talk about, most of the cards only cost me about 50 cents each! While that may not be your style, posters may be more your speed. In that case, my go-to is Walgreens. Whether I print something aesthetically pleasing that I found on Pinterest or create my own sort of design, I have found that the photo department of Walgreens can produce nice quality images for a reasonable amount of money. These methods have helped me decorate my room to the max. 

Hi, I'm Lilly and I am a Freshman at the University of Kansas! I love to read, write, shop, and watch movies and TV shows and I am so excited to be able to share these interests with you! I hope to have you stick around:)