harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How To Handle Your 2007 Britney Spears Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

“If Britney can make it through 2007, you can make it through today.”

Image credit

With the end of the semester coming up, I’ve been feeling overwhelmed with trying to get all of my schoolwork done. Plus balancing two jobs, clubs, and wanting to have a social life, I kind of feel like I’m losing my mind. Like seriously, I think I kind of understand why Britney had her meltdown. Same, girl. And it’s not just me; a lot of my friends have felt crazy busy and overwhelmed the last few weeks too. With everything going on, I’ve tried to come up with a few things to make it a little easier.

1. Prioritize sleep

Sleep has been the last thing on my mind lately. I’m constantly tired, but I have a million things I feel like I need to be doing instead, but seriously, going to bed at a decent time will make a world of a difference the next day. Even if that means I don’t get everything done that I wanted to during the day, forcing myself to get to bed before midnight has helped so much with my energy and mood during the day.

2. Spend free time with friends

It can be hard to make time for your friends when you always seem to be doing homework when you’re not in class or at work. Seeing my friends, even if it’s just for an hour or two, always puts me in a better mood. Whether it’s having dinner or just sitting and doing homework together, spending time with your favorite people is so important for your mental health. 

3. Practice time management

One thing that I’ve had to force myself to do is homework in between classes. All I want to do is sit and watch Netflix for that hour break, but it is so beneficial to finish my Spanish homework for the next two or three days in that time instead. I always feel so much better when I get home that night knowing that I have one less thing to do because I used my time wisely during the day.

4. Eat

I am the worst about having a healthy eating schedule. I will go days without having an actual healthy meal, and I skip eating all the time to do other things. Just like with prioritizing sleep, making sure I’m eating a couple decent meals every day really makes a difference. I have more energy throughout the day and am generally just in a better mood.

5. Think positive

This is the hardest one for me. When one thing goes wrong, it seems like everything goes wrong, and I am always quick to be upset and negative. Forcing myself to think postively and find the good in every situation has improved my mood and mental health when things are stressful so much. Trying to find one good thing in all the stress and negativity during the day will change your outlook on everything, and you will feel much less stressed and way more happy.

Our girl Britney got through her rough patch, and so will you.

Hi I'm Ally! I'm studying journalism and dance at the University of Kansas.