How to do holiday nails on a budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Being a college student, there aren’t many luxuries you get to enjoy. Unless you pencil them into the very tight budget you have. Most of us don’t have $60 to spend on a mani-pedi. It’s easier to just do them at home. Sure, they might not turn out salon quality, but it’s cheaper and can be fun to do if you get a group of friends to do it with.

With the holidays coming around, who wouldn’t want awesome nail designs? Here are some tips on how to get some cute holiday nails, without breaking the bank.

Here are some of the items I find work well and are cheap.

The Sinful nail polish brand has plenty of colors to choose from. They usually don’t cost more that $2. The important thing is saving money here, not having a name brand product. I have a ton of these colors, which is useful when making colorful designs. You can find the Sinful nail polishes at Target, Wal-mart, or Walgreens.

These are perfect for making dots or other designs on your nails. If you don’t want to spend money on this tool because a good round tip pen works also. Just make sure you don’t need the pen for anything afterwards. Who doesn’t have a few old pens laying around? We are students, after all.

The most important product to have is the nail art thin liners. It helps you create the design without having to struggle. It works for any and every occasion. I found some at Wal-mart for under $2. If you don’t have the money to buy the thin design liners, you can use a thin brush and nail polish. It won’t be as accurate and thin, depending on the hand, but it should still do the trick.

Below are some holiday nail tutorials.

When it comes to beauty, it doesn’t matter how much money you have. It is about being resourceful and using what you have in your budget. Show off your holiday spirit with your nail designs on instagram @hercampus_ku!