This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Have you ever been thinking about something happening, and then it happens? Or start thinking about someone you haven’t seen in a year, and suddenly you see them three times in a week?

Image credit

This is something called the Law of Attraction, and basically it’s that all thoughts eventually turn into things.

This week in one of my dance classes, my instructor sat us down to talk about how we should try to manifest positivity into our lives. As someone who’s been having a pretty bad couple of weeks, I took everything she said straight to heart. If you wake up and tell yourself the day is going to be bad, then it probably will be. But if you tell yourself a few positive things, then you will immediately be in a better mood and have the mindset to take on the day.

Image credit

In class, we wrote down one negative thing that has been on our minds. For example, maybe you’re really struggling to get all of your schoolwork done. She then made us try to turn that negative thought into a positive one, like saying that even though I’m really overwhelmed with classes, if I set aside time each day to do homework and work hard without procrastinating, then I will be proud of the work I’ve done.

There’s a lot of research that’s been done trying to prove if the Law of Attraction is real or not, but I fully believe that your mindset can change your reality, especially when it comes to staying positive in less-than-ideal situations. As someone who can definitely be a pessimist most of the time, I’ve been trying to manifest positivity into my negative situation lately, and it’s definitely given me a better outlook on life.

Image credit

Hi I'm Ally! I'm studying journalism and dance at the University of Kansas.