How to Avoid Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

One of the best perks of attending college are the much-needed breaks, which provide chances for you to
go home and spend time with your families and friends. Thankfully, KU’s fall break is just around the corner. As wonderful as these mini vacations can be, these opportunities to visit family and friends can cause you to feel homesick when you return to Lawrence. Fighting homesickness is one of the toughest challenges of being in college, especially during your first year. You can overcome the depression and melancholy you feel from being away from home by following some simple tips.

· If you haven’t already, connect with new friends. This not only creates new relationships in your life, but chances are other students are experiencing the same feelings as you. They can relate to your situation and hopefully offer some solace.

· Continue to stay connected with your family and friends from home. There are so many ways to keep in touch: call, text, email, Facebook, Skype, etc. Also, you can send and receive care packages or cards. This is not only fun, but it just makes both the sender and receiver feel good. Don’t forget, if it’s a feasible option you can visit home on a weekend or just have someone from home come visit you.

· Whether you’re living in the dorms, in an apartment or a house, make your living situation similar your room back home. Adding photos, candles and decorations personalize your place and make it feel more like home.

· Try new experiences and get involved in activities or organizations. Attend a concert, eat at a new local restaurant , volunteer for your favorite charity, etc. Have an open mind and be willing to give opportunities a chance. KU has hundreds of clubs on campus so you should be able to find something you’re interested in. (P.S. activities and organizations provide great opportunities to meet new people and make new friends!)

· Stay positive and realize this is an exciting time in your life. It is perfectly normal to miss your family and friends from home, but try not to get too down about it. You will see people from home soon and time will go by faster than you think. College is a time for growth. You need to start taking care of and relying upon yourself. Now is your time to form new relationships, experience new things and create some of the best memories of your life.