The History Behind Holi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Holi originates from the word “Holika”, the evil sister of mythical king Hiranyakashipu

(Photo Credit)

King Hiranyakashipu had a boon or prophesy that he was indestructible. This made him arrogant because he thought he was a God and demanded everyone worship him.  

2. King Hiranyakashipu’s son Prahlada disagreed with his father

(Photo Credit)

Prahlada thought his pop’s wack. He told ol’Hiranyakashipu to suck it and that he’s sticking to worshipping Vishnu (an actual God)

3. Papa Hiranyakashipu wasn’t too pleased about this

(Photo Credit)

Hiranyakashipu certainly didn’t earn Dad of the Year award because he subjected his son to cruel punishments. Put don’t worry, Prahlada was not affected and it made his resolve stronger!

4. Holika, Prahlada’s evil aunt tricked him to sit on a pyre (fire pit) with her

(Photo Credit)

The details of how exactly she can trick someone to sit on a fire pit with her is fuzzy but she managed to do it nonetheless. Holika had a cloak that made her immune to the fire while Prahlada did not. Things are heating up for the son! (pun intended)

5. As the fire grew, the cloak flew off Holika and wrapped around Prahlada

(Photo Credit)

What a twist of events! Prahlada is now safe inside his cloak while his evil aunt burns. All we can say is, BYE FELICIA. 

6. Vishnu then appeared and killed King Hiranyakashipu

(Photo Credit)

The fire and burning symbolizes the triumph of good over evil. Hoorah!

Holi is a celebration of good over evil, spring approaching after winter, laughter and love, and forgiveness and repair of relationships. The day is filled with people throwing bright powder colors, beating of drums, and spraying water for this celebration of triumph and rebirth! Interested in learning more and celebrating Holi at KU? Check out KU South Asian Student Association and Student Union Activities as they bring Holi to campus on April 12 from 2-4 p.m. in the field by Oliver Hall!

(Information from Wikipedia)

Analog by birth, digital by design. I rap caucasionally, sorta. Prefer my puns intended and will show ankle for 5 minutes for fast internet.