Life > Experiences

HERE ARE 5 HOBBIES TO GET INTO BEFORE SPRING BREAK

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you are dreading the upcoming break either because you have to work the whole time, you have no plans, or because you have to stay on campus, I recommend trying these new hobbies to keep you occupied!

PHOTOGRAPHY

Start taking photos of anything you like! Take photos of nature, aesthetic study spreads, cute outfits, or with your friends! Making memories and cementing them via photography is a great hobby! Along with photography, digital and film cameras have increased in popularity on social media. Taking film photos is extra fun, because you can take photos, develop your film whenever you want, and then you can relive the moments from your past! As cameras get more expensive because of recent trends, I suggest thrifting for digital cameras and/or buying reusable film cameras!

Nature walks

Allotting time to go on walks around your campus/neighborhood is a great way to spend some time outside! Taking advantage of the warm weather by doing homework outside, reading outside, or going on walks can be very fulfilling, especially with the fluctuating weather of the Midwest. If you are on campus, even going out into town to see new shops and the environment off campus can be fulfilling! If you are in Lawrence, I suggest visiting the antique mall on Mass Street, it has just about everything!

Plants

For anyone wanting to lean into their green thumb tendencies, getting a succulent or cactus is a great start! Snake plants are very low maintenance and add a pop of green to any space! Most types of succulents need to be watered very minimally, allowing you to have a lot of plants without worrying about them dying on you.

Journaling

Writing in a journal is a great way to process your feelings, but it can also be used to document your favorite music, movies, books, etc! Journaling is a versatile medium for artistic and emotional expression and can be a good habit for anyone who wants to start! Looking on Pinterest for journal prompts and inspiration is also very fun!

Music

Listening to new genres on Spotify to expand your music taste is another fun way to spend your time. Spotify recently came up with the concept of a “Daylist” which is a playlist that generates every few hours based on your favorite artists and genres. These playlists incorporate songs you have already listened to and some new artists that are like your favorites!!

Have a great spring break!

I'm Jayme Pickering, and I am a first year English major and History minor, and I am on the pre-law track at the University of Kansas. I am a member of the HCKU Writing Committee, the KU Marching Jayhawks, the honorary band fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi, and the pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta.