Halloween Does Not Mean Culture Appropriation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Halloween is coming in the next few days. It will be a time of hanging out with friends, significant others and total strangers. During Halloween there are such activities as trick-or-treating, going haunted houses and parties, etc., where individuals have a night in which they can recreate themselves and be something different. However, with this holiday there are a few things that individuals should remember to be courteous and respectful of others.

Many times we get crazy with the ideas on what we dress up for Halloween. We must remember that many costumes that depict culture are not taking into account or respecting a culture. Cultural appropriation is a real thing that occurs through dressing up, particularly on Halloween. This term culture appropriation is defined as when members outside of a culture utilize elements of another culture, usually in a manner that is found to belittle the individuals of one identity. Some people claim that culture appropriation is not a real thing, but it is. All people have their own identity, and when someone dresses or acts in a manner that calls upon cultural stereotypes (such as speaking in a certain vernacular) or wears an outfit that is specific to that culture, it’s belittling.

Here are some examples of cultural appropriation:

There is often the argument that they are just clothes; they aren’t trying to insult or disrespect anyone. However, we must respect that some people do not find this in any way acceptable. If a community of people are disturbed by the way someone outside of their culture is wearing or displaying their culture, we must respect it. Freedom of speech and freedom to protest does not give you the right to wear a culture that does not belong to you. Halloween is a time of fun but it should also be a time where smart decisions are made. If you have to question if your costume is cultural appropriation, it most likely is, and you should not wear it.

Culture appropriation is a real thing, one that happens too often on a holiday we all want to enjoy. Thus, when you are searching for the perfect outfit, please take into consideration that your costume is merely a costume and not a culture hanging upon you like threads.

Photos provided by:

http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/22/voices-costumes-candy-and-cultural-appropriation/

http://hipsterappropriations.tumblr.com/page/12