matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As many know, a few weeks ago,Greta Thunberg, a 16 year old girl from Sweden, came to the United States by boat, catching the attention of the entire world. However, it wasn’t just her journey that made us look her way, it was also the upcoming speech she had planned to give at the UN regarding climate change. Now anyone who even saw a clip of this speech knows that not only did she hit us with all the facts we need to know about why our climate temperature is rising, but that it was also a very emotional speech. Anyone who has watched her talk about the subject of global warming can tell that this is a topic she is truly passionate and concerned about, as she should be. 

Unfortunately, since the speech, many people across several media platforms have been doing their best to put her down, including our own POTUS, who left in the middle of her speech. She has been the butt of many cruel comments from those who refuse to believe that climate change is real or a danger. Greta has also repeatedly been called a puppet of the liberal agenda who is being used in the form of a child to drive liberal’s own points on a threat that doesn’t actually exist. 

Now, I will admit, after seeing a few interviews with Greta’s father and mother talking about climate change, it is not all that absurd to think that maybe she didn’t become passionate about this topic all on her own. It should also not be dismissed that Greta is not the only person to have spoken on this topic in the past, and that there were many others, long before Greta, who have been doing their very best to do their part for the climate. She is just the one who finally really has people finally listening. 

None of this should matter in the long run though, because it is the message of her speech and her cause that is important. Which is, we need to start changing something before we destroy our planet Earth. We are reaching a point of no return, and we have to decide whether we want to keep heading in that direction, or finally start looking at what it is we need to change. She also told the world that our adults need to also start taking responsibility for their part in this. They need to stop with the ‘it won’t affect me, so why should I care’ mindset, and do their share. 

Greta isn’t the first nor will she be the last to talk about this topic, as there are people all around the world trying to do their part everyday. However, what she has done is get everyone’s attention, and right now, that is what we need. You can say she is this or that, but at the end of the day, it shouldn’t be Greta that concerns you, it should be the message that she, and many others have done their best to convey over and over again. This Earth is heating up, and we need to take action now. 

Hello all! My name is Emma Verdonik and I am a senior in her final year of studying at the University of Kansas. I am an English major who loves writing about all sorts of subjects and wants you to read what I have to say. Enjoy!