Getting Your Sh*t Together For Finals 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s mid-November, you have borderline grades in every class, too many projects and essays and exams to keep track of, and no motivation to get out of bed for your 8 am.  It all sounds too familiar, doesn’t it? It’s like the last month of the semester hits and your professors collectively decide to haze you. Lucky for you, I have come up with a list of easy ways to get your shit together for those last hellish weeks of the semester.

• Stop skipping class.

My fight or flight mode is activated every single morning when my alarm for class goes off.  Trust me, I know how easy it is to stay in bed for that extra hour to avoid walking in 20-degree weather at 8am, but now is not the time.  The last month of the semester is probably the most important time in each of your classes, and you can’t afford to miss any attendance points or important information.

Credit: Active Minds

• Write a schedule for the rest of the semester.

Grab your planner and go to town on that sucker.  (If you don’t have a planner, WYD? How are you a functioning student?  By the power vested in me by my micromanagement skills, I order you to buy a planner right now.  You’ll thank me later.) A good strategy for planning is to go through the syllabus for each of your classes and write down all deadlines between now and the rest of the semester.  It’s likely that some of your deadlines will overlap, so this will help you prioritize and manage your time.

Credit: gfycat.com

• Do not procrastinate.

Easier said than done, but at least try to not begin an assignment at the last possible second.  Even doing an assignment 2 or 3 days in advance is better than the night before it’s due.  Completing assignments in advance will alleviate stress when finals roll around and you’ll be so glad you aren’t pulling an all-nighter at the library.

Credit: Gfycat

When all else fails…

Fake it ‘til you make it.  An old teacher of mine once told me that 90% of life is BS’ing your way through every situation, which I have found to be true in many of my academic endeavors.  Chances are everyone else is as just overwhelmed as you, so slap a smile on your face and pretend that you aren’t suffering internally. Now go kick finals week’s a** before it kicks yours.  Good luck!

Credit: Giphy

Sophomore at the University of Kansas