The Forgotten Voices in Flint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In my previous segment I wrote about the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. Through different sources some of the reasons this happened have been linked to environmental racism. Environmental racism is when a certain region  largely populated with people of color is put under greater hazardous and polluting material. This is a conversation that is not happening, however, revolves around how certain individuals are being denied drinkable bottled water.

Photo was obtained as a free roaming tweet on twitter

In Flint, many undocumented immigrants have been denied water and many are avoiding certain areas for the fear of deportation. The laws in Michigan are very crystal clear in the fact that undocumented inhabitants are not eligible to apply to get a license or a mere identification card from the state. This fact has allowed for individuals to deliberately deny water to undocumented immigrants. Thus, many of these families have to try and buy bottled water for everything, which includes drinking water, cooking water, bathing water, etc.

If we were speaking in a true manner, having to buy this great amount of water would be struggle for anyone. Undocumented families have to take this route. As we all know, being undocumented in this country is not an easy life. Many times undocumented immigrants have to take jobs in which they are paid very little and are given unreasonable hours. Undocumented immigrants are not able to utilize the benefits of the government. These families many times live day by day, not being able to apply for governmental help and driving every day to work to make a life for themselves and their family. For undocumented immigrants, every day is a battle. Every day and every corner on the street could be their last because deportation is something that is always vivid in their minds.

This is an excerpt of an article written by Casey Tolan through Fusion, describing some of the facts of the injustice with undocumented immigrants in Flint.

It is unacceptable that this country is denying these people water. Undocumented families help this nation; they work in jobs that many times abuse their human rights. They work and risk their lives to have an opportunity to better their lives. They should not be paying for working for a better life. What is happening is inhumane. These people need water, and our government should supply these families with the drinkable water they need.

Photos:

http://postnewsgroup.com/blog/2016/01/25/undocumented-immigrants-flint-denied-free-water-scared-get-help/

Sources:

http://americasvoice.org/blog/undocumented-immigrants-in-flint-are-too-afraid-to-ask-for-water-heres-how-you-can-help/

http://fusion.net/story/258628/undocumented-immigrants-flint-water/