Five Things I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me About Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This post is dedicated to all of you women who are getting ready to embark on an experience like no other: sorority recruitment!

I know you all are probably extremely nervous, excited and every emotion between. So, here today, a few of my fellow Greeks and myself are here to alleviate some of you worries about one of the most exciting weeks of your life.

1. Do Stay Positive

First, we should talk about what to expect going into the week in general and a few tips and tricks on how to make the best of it. There is a chance that this will probably be one of the longest, but best weeks, of your life. However, you shouldn’t be too upset if it doesn’t turn out that way.

Clare Egan, a junior in Kappa Kappa Gamma recommends to know “that everything works out the way it should if you go in with an open mind an a positive attitude you will have an amazing experience.”

Taylor Horvat (@tayleigh), a sophomore in Tri Delta also recommends not to take a house releasing you to heart. “I wish someone told me that everyone gets dropped from a house that they initially love, so you just need to accept it and realize that it wasn’t the house for you!”

Personally, I experienced both of these feelings during my recruitment last year. I recommend the same as my fellow Greek women. Being positive can be extremely difficult and challenging, but it’s all a part of the process and also another tip: if you stay positive and smile all the time, chapters will be able to see the real you!

2. Don’t Mention Boys, Alcohol or Partying

This is one of those things that can seem pretty obvious not to mention, however, they sometimes can come up in casual conversations during the first few days. I recommend avoiding them all together. As a chapter, we are not allowed to talk about it with you either because this week is all about finding the best place you fit with the women not with those things. Besides, we get to do so many fun things without boys.

Christie Fangman (@ChristieFangman), a sophomore in Sigma Kappa loved the events she got to do with her sisters this past year. “The Sigma Kappa Cupcake Sale!” was her favorite, she told Her Campus KU, “So much fun and so delicious! Not to mention it supports Alzheimer’s!”

3. Do Take Advantage of Your Recruitment Counselors 

One of the best parts of recruitment is the fact that you get two disaffiliated women who get to help you find your home at KU!

These women are here to help you, and taking advantage of that is definitely an essential to having a great time during a very stressful week. They can give you outfit advice, advice on how to choose a chapter at the end of the week.  You also have upperclassman that you already know your first week on campus, which is always a plus.

Later during the week when you are traveling on the buses by yourself rather than with your recruitment group, you will probably get to know more than just your two Rho Chi’s and it’s always a good idea to talk to these women also and get to know them. Who knows, these women might end up being your sisters! (Guess who that happened to? Haha)

my recruitment group from last fall

4. Don’t feel like you need to pick a house

This may seem a little strange coming from a woman who did find her home, but there was sure times where I felt like I would never belong and then I found my chapter. One thing I would encourage you is to remember that you don’t have to find a home during the week and it’s okay to leave the process.

Taylor Horvat actually went through the process and ended up leaving after Preference day.  “I would not change joining Tri-Delta when I did.” She said. “One of my best friends is someone I met through being a spring new member and I wouldn’t trade that friendship for anything!”

5. Do be yourself

It may seem obvious, but sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the superficiality of the rounds and how many women you will meet. In all honesty, we are more nervous about meeting you than you probably are of us. And we really just want to meet the real you. So, try your best to keep it you and answer the questions we ask you honestly and I know you can find a place where you will fit!

there’s nothing better than throwing what you know after a long recruitment week! 

I can’t wait to see all of you ladies bright and early on Monday morning! It’s going to be an awesome week. But, if you do have any last minute questions, feel free to tweet at these lovely ladies! 

And of course, finding me on Twitter is always an awesome idea: @shelsncheese

Get ready for the time of your lives!

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_