samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finals week self love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I remember my first ever finals week clearly: it was freshman year of high school, and I was terrified. I overstudied and underslept. After finishing my biology final in ten minutes, it became abundantly clear that my preparation had been more than necessary.

Flash forward seven years to find the college senior version of that overprepared fourteen year old sitting on her couch, less than 48 hours before her second-to-last round of finals. They haven’t become much less scary to me; though I now have a better understanding of how much to prepare, much more is at stake should I fail to do so.

That being said, there are many ways to make the week less terrifying. There’s no need to tear out your hair or stress-eat an entire tray of brownies (though, hey, sometimes that’s fun too). Want to show yourself a little more self love this week, KU students? Here are some ideas.

Go to a free group class at the rec

Yeah. They’re free. I didn’t know this either, until my super-fit friend told me about it. If cardio isn’t your thing, check out a yoga class – even to me, whose idea of exercise is five minutes on the swings across the street from my house, the yoga classes at the rec were the perfect balance of strenuous and relaxing. Find a schedule of classes here.

Make sure you sleep enough

I’ve pulled many an all nighter throughout my college career, and believe me, I know that sometimes they’re necessary. If at all possible, though, try to avoid them. You won’t be doing your brain any favors by depriving it of some quality sleep, both in terms of brain power and mental health. If an all nighter is really necessary to pass a final, try to at least get one solid sleep cycle in – even a little is better than nothing.

Do the same with eating

Eat breakfast. Seriously, do it. It may seem like a waste of time when you could be studying, but going into a final on an empty stomach is a bad idea. Load up on protein and carbs for some serious brain power. Find some healthy food to boost brain power here.

Spend some time with an animal

I am lucky enough to live with the world’s most beautiful golden retriever and two very cuddly cats. If this isn’t your situation, though, hit up that friend with the cute dog and visit an animal shelter and hold some cats. It helps; trust me.

Color

I tried, for so long, to avoid the fad that is adult coloring books. Once I gave in, though, I never looked back. Turning on an episode of your favorite TV show and coloring a picture can do wonders for your mental health; this is now one of my favorite ways to de-stress. If you don’t want to spend money on a full coloring book, there are plently of coloring pages available online that you can print off.

Take a bath

I know not everyone has a bathtub in their bathroom, but if you are one of the lucky ones who do, UTILIZE IT. I love baths. Get a glass of wine, bring up Netflix on your laptop and enjoy an hour of relaxation that will leave you feeling ready to take on the world – or, at the very least, finals week.

Photos: Header 1 2 3

Libby Flood is in her final year of study at the University of Kansas, where she is pursuing degrees in History and Journalism. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she serves as an Ambassador for KU's Office of Study Abroad and recently spent two months completing an internship at the Centre for Investigative Journalism in London, United Kingdom. Her favorite things include travel, her dog and Pinot Grigio. To see her complete portfolio or to find contact information, visit www.libbyflood.com. Follow on Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin