Festival of Art: The Work of Lawrence’s Finest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As we move into the Spring semester with only a couple more months to go and beautiful weather finally here to stay (knock on wood), there is a new restlessness and spring fever that has pervaded campus. This Saturday, March 28, the Festival of Art is being hosted on Mississippi St. right between the Union and the Spencer Art Museum.

I know that not everyone is infatuated with the arts, that the question, “What does this mean?!” seems to frequent the minds of the viewers incessantly. As a Visual Arts major, I sometimes look at artwork with the same question and truly wonder if I picked the right major; after all, that blue blob on the canvas does in fact look like just a blue blob–but shhh! I would never dare say that out loud.

As this semester plows forward (hopefully faster in this nice weather), I can’t think of any better reason to go outside to enjoy both visual and performance art and even some interactive demonstrations. Even if you don’t consider yourself artsy, I hope you’ll still find your way there! If there’s one thing I’ve learned, art means something different to everyone, and it might even yield a little inspiration.

It will be comprised of plenty of student and local artists hoping to get their work out into the world, which is just another great reason to stop by. In truth, it’s thought and emotion-evoking, relaxing and, if you’re with the right people, a whole lot of fun! With nice weather here, free food (did I mention that?) and a whole lot of beautiful art, what more could you want?