February: The Shortest Month of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

February is the shortest month of the year and packed with a lot of holidays. It has everything for the history buff, the romantic and the sports fan. It also is the last month of winter, so there is that spring weather to look forward to. February always flies by faster than any other month, but here are some holidays to look forward to.

February 2: Groundhog Day

Since we were kids the groundhog was always a big deal. He determines whether we have 6 more weeks of winter or not. I always hope we don’t because winter is too cold for anybody to love it. I think suffering through it for two months is enough. So, do you think he will see his shadow this year?

February 2: Super Bowl

The match up between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks is sure to be a good game. These are teams that are truly the best in their conferences. Even if you don’t watch the game, the Super Bowl parties are sure to be fun. The game though is bound to be a truly memorable game. If you don’t watch it for the game, there is always the halftime show with Bruno Mars performing.

February 7: Olympic Opening Ceremony

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the Winter Olympics in Sochi this year, but it is bound to be one to remember. I personally just watch is for the snowboarders and ice skating. It doesn’t have as many sports as the summer Olympics, but it is still just as interesting. Who are you rooting for?

February 14: Valentine’s Day

The holiday for the super romantic. It also reminds single people just how single they are. Either way, buy a box of chocolates and put on some rom-coms; it’s bound to cheer you up. Personally, I love getting together with my friends and making a whole night of it. The best thing is it lands on a Friday this year!

February 17: President’s Day

A day to honor the most important men in this country, from Abraham Lincoln to George Washington. It is packed full of history and some extraordinary men who have changed the course of history. Who’s your favorite president?

February 24: Tortilla Day

Who doesn’t love anything wrapped in a tortilla? It is just another reason to show off your culinary prowess and throw a party for all things wrapped in a soft white tortilla. You could also buy chips and make a ton of dip. Either way it’s a fun holiday to gain some pounds and enjoy food.

Whether you enjoy food or watching sports, February has a lot in store in a short amount of time. Get your DVRs set and brush up on some history. This month is sure to go by fast!