This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Euphoria has only had two seasons, and yet its impact on the fashion and beauty industry is undeniable and unavoidable. So, let’s break it down:

The 90s/2000s Comeback

With Euphoria first airing in 2019 and the Y2K comeback not really starting until 2020, it can be assumed that Maddy Perez’s bold, 2000s Chicana style had a major impact on the 2000s trends comeback. However, 90s trends have been popping back up since the mid-2010s through the grunge revival and Cher Horowitz and Ralph Lauren’s preppy style is on the rise again. 

Skin Baring Cutouts

Maddy and Kat are two of the most sex-positive characters on Euphoria with Maddy’s attitude and Kat’s affinity for the dominatrix aesthetic. Skin-baring cutouts are a way for women to feel liberated and confident in their own skin, and I say go for it!

Winged Eyeliner

A Maddy Perez, “if looks could kill” signature. While wing eyeliner is quite timeless, Maddy’s extreme wing, almost to her eyebrow or temples, is not. Thank you Maddy for endless wing inspiration. 

Matching Sets

As Blair Waldorf’s Waldorf Designs debut represented, uniforms represent power and strength, and most uniforms are matching sets. They represent authoritativeness and commandment, which Maddy exemplifies when she struts into a room.

Glitter and Rhinestones

While little girls love to play with glitter makeup, after all, it’s what 2000s fave Libby Lu thrived off of, women often grow out of that and lean more towards neutral makeup as they get older. Euphoria did the opposite, and thank god they did. 

Genderless Clothing

Characters like Rue and Jules have become icons for genderless clothing, from Jules’ season 2 casual cool to Rue’s oversized comfort. After all, gendered clothing is a construct. 

BDSM and Fetishwear

Kat’s season 1 journey from typical teen to the confident queen was so fun to watch. Fetishwear was a huge part of her visual transformation, referencing the E-girl aesthetic, BDSM accessories and dominatrix styles. It made it seem cooler and okay rather than taboo and shameful. 

Anime

Jules’ wardrobe is hugely inspired by anime characters. Sailor Moon was mentioned as a huge style inspiration for her. Even less fashion cautious characters like Fezco noticed it. She still couldn’t completely trouble her anime style in the season when her style became genderless and darker. 

80s Minimalist

Cassie’s style is the least bold out of all the characters, including Rue, shockingly. Her style is made of basics like cute, tight solid colored shirts and mom jeans, which makes it almost as 80s minimalist style can get. See, the 80s can be tasteful and not cringy. Thank you, Cassie!

Bold Makeup

This is one of the first things many people think of when they think of Euphoria and its impact. Since the show aired, makeup has become more expressive, unapologetic and cool even in the most casual settings. How fun!

Twee

Lexi’s style wasn’t that defined in season 1, but in season 2, her style became reminiscent of preppy aesthetics like the 2010s Twee style that Taylor Swift and Zooey Deschanel became icons of, which is a great diction for her because not only does it fit her character, but it is also vastly different from every other character on the show. 

Sweats, But Make Them Fashion

Even when Euphoria’s characters are chilling out or not feeling themselves, their sweats are still very in character. Maddy’s velour hoodie is still reminiscent of her love of the 2000s. Cassie’s sweats are in her signature colors of pastel pink, white and blue. Rue’s maroon hoodie is a visual representation of how much her father means to her. This has helped make sweats be seen as a fashion statement, not just something to be comfortable in.

Sk8r Girl

Rue’s wardrobe is very reminiscent of skater culture with its eclectic, chill vibe. It brings back Avril Lavinge-esque, 2000s gender-bending style. After all, Zendaya could wear a trash bag and make it the next big thing.

Layering

Jules has an affinity for layers, in order to make a more dynamic, unique visual. This could also have a deeper meaning of the character having many layers under her bubbly personality. Have you noticed that layering has become such a thing? From turtlenecks under sweaters to collared shirts under sweatshirts, layering is a certified thing now. You can thank Jules for that one. 

hunter schafer?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Pastels

You may notice that the Euphoria girls love the pastel palette. But they aren’t soft girls (except maybe Cassie is). This is meant to show naivete when you are a teenager. Props to Heidi Bivens on that!

Vintage

Heidi Bivens, Euphoria’s costume designer, has said that most of the pieces we see on the Euphoria characters are vintage whether it’s from Buffalo Exchange or a high fashion designer’s archive, which means that many pieces are original to the show, making it even more cool and sought-after.

Dressing Up To Impress

Maddy and many other characters dress up for the most mundane situation, from babysitting to bowling. What’s wrong with dressing up, especially after all these years stuck inside? Why not dress to impress?

Body Positivity

It’s not often, at least until recently, that we see plus-sized, beautiful women dress so traditionally sexy. Kat has become a fashion icon for not letting your body image stop you from being sexy. From her body harness to her black lingerie, Kat is one of the most sexually liberated characters on the show. 

Gloves

Gloves were such a thing in season 2. Both Maddy and Kat dawned them many times. I personally love a good glove moment. It adds a touch of sophistication to any outfit in a very simple way.

Baby Hairs

Maddy’s baby hair hairstyles have seemed to start a huge beauty trend for women of color. It adds such an interesting visual that I have never seen before. 

Small businesses & Small Designers

Euphoria loves spotlighting small businesses & designers on their characters, from Orseund Iris to Akra. It provides great publicity and a great mixture that makes it easier for fans to emulate. 

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!