This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

On any given day, Eric Fraser can be seen greeting every person in his path on his walk to class. Although he transferred to KU just a year ago, he has already made a lasting impression. When he’s not listening to his incredible Spotify playlist full of chill indie music like Manchester Orchestra and Grizzly Bear, he is a leader of Young Life College here at KU.

Young Life originally started as a high school ministry to share the gospel. It then grew into Wildlife, a middle school ministry, and branched even further into Young Life College. “During the summer, they help kids get to camp to get away from the distractions of the world and dive into the Word and discover faith for themselves,” Eric told me. YL College continues those traditions and values, just with more emphasis on serving by helping set up camps during Work Week. “Young Life comes alongside kids where they’re at and facilitates the discussion of discovering a relationship with Christ.”

(photo credit: KU Young Life College)

Eric joined Young Life last January at KU. “I was looking for something different in my life and after one visit I felt completely welcomed and I could be myself there.” Later that fall, he decided to become a leader. When I asked him what made him take that leap, he said, “I wanted to take on a leadership role so I could take on the task of being that person who facilitates that conversation of finding God. I’ve always had a passion for helping others and with YL I feel like I get to connect to college kids and help them discover their faith.”

According to Eric, Young Life has opened doors to many opportunities for himself and others, and is a humbling experience. “It has opened up doors where I can serve others. It’s humbled me to just let myself stand back and let God work.” Eric certainly has every quality of a leader, and when asked to describe himself in three words, he decided upon personable, encouraging, and trustworthy.

(photo credit: Eric Fraser)

Young Life College meets every Thursday at 7 p.m. at The Oread Center at 912 Illinois Street. Everyone and anyone is welcome! During sessions, the group hangs out, plays games, and someone gives a message about the gospel. If you are on the fence about your faith, or are just looking for an outlet to talk about it, Young Life encourages you to make a visit! I’ve always struggled with my faith and beliefs, so after my interview with Eric, I asked him what he would say to me or any other non-religious attendee. His answer? “I would just ask them what their perspective on the purpose of life is, and based upon their answer I would just see what gives them hope, what gives them joy, what gives them their sense of purpose.”

As a classmate and friend, I’ve gotten to know Eric and I admire how outgoing he is and his leadership in and out of the classroom. He is inspiring and his friendliness is absolutely contagious. Make sure to stop by the next Young Life College session to get to know him and the rest of the YL leaders!

(photo credit: KU Young Life College)